Out of the Box, or Custom

PVessa

The question is: with a car so well known, documented, and available in multiple scales, should you build the model as the model designer intended, or add "something unique"?

This is my third Agora car and my 4th 1/8 scale model. As such I'm spending a lot of time researching source photos from the racing period, as well as restored drivable and museum examples. In many ways the car out of the box is pretty true to life. There are definitely areas, such as the engine, cockpit and suspension that are ripe for expanding the paint treatment. I have procured a wide range of Vallejo metallics and are testing coverage and tonal differences. Similarly, washes will help temper the factory fresh appearance and add some race miles. I have used washes on the Agora Porsche 917 Kh and dirtying-up the engine has brought out a lot of detail. 

I intend to post photos of the details and results once I start the actual build. Perhaps other builders will do the same. 

There does not appear to be many if any 1/8 scale aftermarket parts available, and I lack a 3D printer to fabricate details. Any builders planning to add details? If yes, please upload your ideas and methods. 

If there is interest in the reference material I have identified, please let me know and I will upload. 

I'm interested in your opinions and approach. Out of the box or custom, please share your thoughts. Looking forward to hearing from you. 

Cheers and enjoy, Phil 

I am interested in adding enhanced details and welcome any photos to see where it could be done;. You are correct, there wasn't any aftermarket upgrades made for this model other than a decal sheet to add labeling to the switch panels, engine bay and to replace the side pod sponsor and white marking where some tampons printed by the factory did not line up properly.  Currently I trying to find a photo etch supplier to make brake disc overlays , like IXO has done on the 917K.

• 1 month later...
On 11/6/2022 at 8:21 AM, Eagle36 said:

I am interested in adding enhanced details and welcome any photos to see where it could be done;. You are correct, there wasn't any aftermarket upgrades made for this model other than a decal sheet to add labeling to the switch panels, engine bay and to replace the side pod sponsor and white marking where some tampons printed by the factory did not line up properly.  Currently I trying to find a photo etch supplier to make brake disc overlays , like IXO has done on the 917K.

I'd love to find the switch panel decals. Can you please supply a link?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator
On 11/6/2022 at 1:21 PM, Eagle36 said:

Some years ago I had some photo-etching done by 4D Models.  It wasn't cheap, but the results were good.  I must stress that this was about 10 years ago and I haven't used them since, so I have no idea if they are still as good.  There is some info on their web page >= https://modelshop.co.uk/Static/WorkShop/Photo-Etching

This isn't a recommendation as I haven't used them in a long time, but perhaps worth a look.  Just make sure you're sitting down when you check the prices!

On 12/9/2022 at 9:27 AM, MikeH said:

I can never build anything 'out of the box.'  I'm really bummed I missed out on the 312T, as that era of F1 is one of my favorites.

I'd be adding AN fittings and electronic connectors galore.   😝

I have received 5 packs of parts and the lighted base so far and am having  thoughts of NOT doing this one. While I have been a huge F1 fan for 50+ years I have to admit that purchasing this x/60 edition was a bit of a knee jerk impulse buy. The main reason for not wanting to build it is that I can't make this decision on whether to make it look like it just finished a race at the Glen or do it box stock, both answers are right in my head. Short end to this is that I may have a full kit available mid summer.

20221225_060443.jpg

I build models to satisfy me. It may include aftermarket mod parts that add realistic detail . Some simple parts I fab myself . eg.  metal hood pins on the Super Snake. Very few people ever see my builds and fewer have any idea what they are looking at.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting post. I'm not so fond of spic and span models as the show room look is not looking "real".  

I like cars and I prefer to see them with signs of wear and use. 

Adding details makes the model come to life. A map or a period magazine on the front seat, lightly sanded tires, an oil can in the trunk (or is it a boot) etc makes it all the more interesting to look at.

Weathering looks great, but it's a risky operation and needs to balanced (dirty body but shiny engine... awkward! I use my aero graph to spray dirt on the car (don't forget to cover the swipe area on the windscreen, otherwise it looks silly) and it really adds something. Weathering needs practice but well done it looks amazing!

OOB is great, but custom is more interesting in my opinion. 

I keep my present driver in brand new condition, inside and out, but for the tires. But each to his own. Many folks thrive on patina. We are all different and that is the fun of a forum. Have fun.😁

Hi
I'm sure many are interested in original pictures...But...
These models are partwork models or screw models for everyone...
There are only a handful of us who add mods to the models or refine the models...
Just build and show us here your results...If they are done well, there will definitely be some who will imitate them...
So just build them and show them...I'm looking forward to your numerous conversions...
Best regards Thorsten
  • Like 1