What type of glue to use?

Coconut

I know these 1:8 models don’t require glue but if I were to use some in certain areas to keep small plastic pieces in place what type of glue should be used (cyanoacrylate, epoxy, etc.)? 

Also what type of glue is recommend for attaching the rubber/silicone spark plug wires to the plastic nubs?

3 hours ago, Coconut said:

I know these 1:8 models don’t require glue but if I were to use some in certain areas to keep small plastic pieces in place what type of glue should be used (cyanoacrylate, epoxy, etc.)? 

Also what type of glue is recommend for attaching the rubber/silicone spark plug wires to the plastic nubs?

When  I want to glue bits together, I use super glue and that seems to work well.

• 1 month later...
  • Administrator
On 1/27/2021 at 6:25 AM, Coconut said:

I also use superglue for gluing the plug leads if they seem a bit loose.  Only apply a tiny amount with a cocktail stick. 

I use superglue, but I buy a low odour, low bloom cyanacrolite (super glue) such as this https://www.adhesivedispensers.co.uk/GB4303.htm many others are available, just have a search on google

most off the shelf super glues (such as loctite or gorilla glue to name a few) either smell really bad which is not good for you with the solvents, and/or leave a white powdery type residue surrounding the area which can look unsightly and worst case cause damage. This is known as 'bloom' and is a result of the curing process of the glue. As the solvents dissipate they react with moisture in the air and fall back down onto surrounding surfaces and etch into the surface leaving the white marks.

• Thanks 1

Your welcome.

Not many people know that cyanacrolite glue is actually a 2 part glue with the activator bieng water (although there are other chemistries that use solvents for one reason or another, hence why some smell really strong - loctite gives me headache). Generally there is enough water present in the atmosphere/surface as moisture to cause the glue to harden. This also explains why 'blowing/breathing' on it also increases curing times - basically adding extra moisture from your breath! Also the reason it's important to keep the cap on the container, if too much moisture gets in the glue will set and harden. Good quality manufacturers will use hermetically sealed bottles to prevent any moisture getting in whilst not in use - again, explains why sometimes you come back to your glue to find it's gone hard in the bottle.....Things we take for granted but don't actually understand how it works.....!