How to trouble shoot this tank

Joep

Does anyone know how to check if pc board is bad or maybe its the cable.

I did post on another question, but lets start with the turret not turning and barrel recoil not working.  Any help would be appreciated 

• Administrator

I'll deal with the turret rotation first.

First of all, check that the cable plugs are properly inserted.  This is the black/red ribbon cable which goes in the main control unit and the connector board in the hull top.  Also check the individual cables in the connector board.  Then check that there are no broken cables.  Particularly on the turret rotation motor.

If all looks good, check to see if the main drive motors are working and you have sound (don't forget to 'start' the tank with the left hand button on the controller).  If the drive motors are working and you have sound, then it's probably a faulty ribbon cable (82-1) or a faulty connector board (75-1).

• Administrator
12 hours ago, Joep said:

I did post on another question, but lets start with the barrel recoil not working.  Any help would be appreciated 

Can you describe the recoil issue with a bit more detail.  I assume this is the recoil mechanism in the turret?  Is it completely dead, or is it working but not properly?

11 hours ago, Mark, The Master Modeller said:

I'll deal with the turret rotation first.

First of all, check that the cable plugs are properly inserted.  This is the black/red ribbon cable which goes in the main control unit and the connector board in the hull top.  Also check the individual cables in the connector board.  Then check that there are no broken cables.  Particularly on the turret rotation motor.

If all looks good, check to see if the main drive motors are working and you have sound (don't forget to 'start' the tank with the left hand button on the controller).  If the drive motors are working and you have sound, then it's probably a faulty ribbon cable (82-1) or a faulty connector board (75-1).

First let me thank you for the help.  

The wires are installed properly and no wire seem to be damaged.the turret does not move the turret motor does not turn on. I did not mention before but the main lights do not come on the marker lights and tail light keep flashing.

11 hours ago, Mark, The Master Modeller said:

Can you describe the recoil issue with a bit more detail.  I assume this is the recoil mechanism in the turret?  Is it completely dead, or is it working but not properly?

The recoil does work if I push the barrel in it will work,  almost like manually loading it.  The light in the barrel works once and a while.

one other thing the light on the controller flash’s constantly 

The flashing lights sounds like a pairing issue.

I haven't started this build yet (and won't be doing until someone, somewhere actually confirms they have a working model), but I had the misfortune to build the Modelspace T72 and the lights on that would flash until pairing was successful.

• Administrator
12 hours ago, Joep said:

The recoil does work if I push the barrel in it will work,  almost like manually loading it.  The light in the barrel works once and a while.

Thanks Joep,  can you leave this one with me.  I’ll have to talk to Agora about the recoil, and I need to do some checking about the controller light flashing.  Give me a few days.

9 hours ago, Mark, The Master Modeller said:

Thanks Joep,  can you leave this one with me.  I’ll have to talk to Agora about the recoil, and I need to do some checking about the controller light flashing.  Give me a few days.

I will,  please find out what needs to be replaced, it does look like the pc board (75-1) is bad and I just don’t know what else.  I am going on vacation a week from Saturday and will not be back until September 25.   Again thanks for your help.

1 hour ago, Diceman said:

Use a multi-meter (if you have one?) to check continuity on the board connections. Found dry solder joints on mine.

So does it work now?

On 8/31/2022 at 8:52 PM, Mark, The Master Modeller said:

Just want you to know one of the drive motors stopped working.  I believe part 91-1 and 75-1 are defective.  Also the sound cuts in and out.

@AgoraSam - to be fair, that troubleshooting guide sort of treats us like we don't know what we are doing. Anyone that has built this tank is surely smart enough to check for clearance issues with the vertical barrel movement, or too tight of screws preventing the turret from rotating.

The camera not working (that was THE selling point for me) and the electrical, 'gremlins' look more like circuit board problems/failures, and some REALLY sloppy programming. 

I suspect Agora got a bit over their head with importing something that obviously wasn't prototyped correctly, and I do sincerely feel sorry for you guys for being in this kind of position. But for working folks, this was a lot of money, and I do not think it is unreasonable to have expected something a bit more better flushed out.

Also, where in the hell is my Ferrari 312? 🙂

• Like 2

• Administrator
On 8/31/2022 at 1:14 PM, Joep said:

I hope you're enjoying your vacation.  Please can you raise a ticket with customer services about the recoil.  They are checking with the manufacturer.

The flashing light on the controller is odd.  It normally flashes if the controller can't connect with the tank, perhaps if the tank is switched off or goes out of range.  It should be on if it's connected to the tank.  I assume that you can control the tank OK?  Perhaps the controller is flashing to warn that the tank battery or controller batteries are running low?  Try fully charging the tank and fitting fresh batteries in the controller.  Please contact customer services if those suggestions don't work.

I'm going to have to come back to this at a later date. I'm a little burned out with trouble shooting model problems. I have the Revel model of the USS Constitution on my table now. The last time I built this model it took my wife and I almost a years to build it fully sailed. She died so I'm looking at probably 15 or 16 months. Including the small sails at the end of all the main yards. (I forget what they are called) It was a good run with Agora.