Full Kits Only Please

IDK. I really don't mind the subscriptions.  Finding Agora models on the internet and then later Fanhome was a complete revelation to me coming from a various scale plastic modeling background. I was delighted to discover the subscription based service as I can justify spreading out the payments over time for a number of concurrent subscriptions rather than plunking down $1800 a pop. The waiting time can be a bit ..challenging, but again, with four subs going there's always something to do.

• Like 3

I've purchased and built several complete kits and I believe that I like the monthly subscriptions better.  On the full kits, I find that I finish the kits too quickly.  I become obsessed with completing them and do not savor the experience.  For me,  I think that will just do the subscriptions from here forward.  Also, I agree with ThomasJW, if you have enough subs, there is always something to build.  I really love this hobby and hearing from my fellow modelers.

• Like 2

It is too costly for small companies like Agoras to produce an entire kit for sale all at once, tooling used to cost $500-600K and is probably increased along with everything else.  Only IXO and Eligor, which are the main factories can afford to release a full kit model initially. 

• Like 1

A couple of additional thoughts. I reviewed the purchase options for the subs I had/have and all of them have a full-kit option. A cursory review of other models show many have a full-kit option or the option of buying 4 or 6 mos upfront. It looks like the older established models have the full-kit option while the newer, yet to be established, models do not... yet. Also I have to take issue with the title of this topic, maybe should be "Full Kit Options Please". I want to keep my subscriptions. 🙂 

• Like 1

Nothing I say will make any difference anyway. I am aggravated about waiting over two weeks for a pack I ordered months ago(per subscription) and paid for automatically. It took 5 days to receive a full kit from France from day I ordered it.

On 12/10/2022 at 4:27 AM, Franknstang said:

Nothing I say will make any difference anyway. I am aggravated about waiting over two weeks for a pack I ordered months ago(per subscription) and paid for automatically. It took 5 days to receive a full kit from France from day I ordered it.

I agree with Franknstang, it takes minimum 14 days from payment to even having the pack posted, I also ordered some replacement parts for the GT500 23 days ago and they haven’t been posted yet.

taking 14+ days from payment to posting is a bit much I think and then delivery time on top of that, it’s putting me off buying more, I was seriously thinking of the Miura, Cobra, E-type and possibly the Vette, I’m doing the 917KH on subscription but I bought the GT500 outright, I just can’t see me bothering with any more due to the huge delay between payment and posting.

I live in the UK so it’s not like I’m waiting for international shipping as I believe my order comes from the UK

This does disappoint me hugely

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

What troubles me the most with this "Partwork system" is the incredible waste of energy, plastic bags, paperwork, cardboard etc... If we want to "save the world", any action to reduce unnecessary transport is one step in the good direction.

I'm extremely happy with these models , but if they could be ordered as full kits, in one box, with one plan and with one delivery aso it would be much better.

• Like 1

Hallo,
das ist soweit alles richtig, aber ehrlich gesagt kann ich es mir nicht leisten, über 1000 Euro auf einmal zu bezahlen.

Beim neuen Teilwerk von Hachette, dem U96, sind es sogar mehr als 2000 Euro.

Then the suppliers should rather consider whether the parts can be packed in paper bags or boxes.
The fact that some parts are in clear blisters, some of which even have a lid, is in my opinion superfluous.

Or even better, simply limit the series to 100 issues and avoid unnecessary stretching and thus more waste.

• 3 months later...

Personally with about 20 concurrently ongoing subscriptions or so starting or ending.  I’ve had thoughts of the way the parts work companies have been. At least with agora the models can be completed in  12 months vs the deagostini(fanhome, modelspace,altyia) and the now defunct EM. Who dragged them out for 24 months.  I did do a 6 month start on the zero fighter and that was nice.  But if your only doing one model I could see why some like that or people who want to have something to do in spare time.    We all have different needs and budgets.   I agree that the EM thing soured a lot of people.  I see my 4 models they are starting up again. Are still going to drag out for over a year.   But we still got to deal with delivery companies that can take their own time.  Weather , disasters and customs.  Along with the fact that. From payment to warehouse we all end up in a queue. So if you got 5 people working one day they might get 200 packages sent out vs another day being. Only 120 if 3 people work. As a example. Not to mention that they are shipping multiple models and  they don’t work on. The weekends.  You also have to think about some places only have pick ups going out certain days.  Like EM use to only ship on Wednesday and Fridays.  Things are getting back to normality in some places it’s just taken time 

It is helpful to have all the parts ahead of time to be sure of possible future fitting problems.Of course having complete model instructions is important. I often look ahead to be sure that I am on the right track. Some of us may have poor health and don't know how long they will be able to build models. I have four subscriptions ongoing and can't wait for them to be completed. Never again will I go the sub route.

On 4/29/2023 at 10:46 AM, Franknstang said:

It is helpful to have all the parts ahead of time to be sure of possible future fitting problems.Of course having complete model instructions is important. I often look ahead to be sure that I am on the right track. Some of us may have poor health and don't know how long they will be able to build models. I have four subscriptions ongoing and can't wait for them to be completed. Never again will I go the sub route.

Yeah I get the. Health thing. We never know about that.  And I hope I get to finish my models before I  kick it.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...