Super Snake Pack 8 - Stage 61

Stage 61, steering wheel and column:

885947308_Picture1.thumb.png.f1dba1874ae9949f87e41bea591b3887.png

In this image, I am hammering the pinion to the steering column with a spanner. I you have a hammer that would be better, but it is quite hard to join them without a hammering tool:

590467409_Picture2.thumb.png.6091b363fb982171e452787a1f556de9.png

Now the button goes into the upper column cover. The button sits in a square gap, and there is another gap in the square where the wire can pass though:

2095312600_Picture3.thumb.png.31d04919a20b104aaa46c446b8d6d538.png

I now place the steering column into the cover, and run the wire along it. Make sure the wire is not covering the screw holes:

1514310479_Picture4.thumb.png.dd8348bd574dcd6489eb817c2b21f0e4.png

Next, the other half of the steering cover screws over the first half:

242635885_Picture5.thumb.png.e53dd7c7018f96155323cfd651681fda.png1653936766_Picture6.thumb.png.cb2ccdb71266381772c920bb88960a29.png

The steering wheel can now go onto the column cover like so:

1173560132_Picture7.thumb.png.6bf9d31ecf1d87415d849704fb15c764.png

And finally the steering wheel emblem can be pressed into place:

1640508876_Picture8.thumb.png.91ba4d2aa30e579e55745d774e89aa32.png

Stage complete

1296696051_Picture9.thumb.png.278203eae2da3fa61b9bf12db05eee6e.png

• 1 month later...
12 hours ago, Robbert said:

For me the steering wheel is very loose on the steering axis. Also the interiot pins do not align with the chassis holes after fitting them together.

Can't see where I went wrong.

Have you made sure that the metal pinion is in all the way? Can you send a photo of the problem so that i can try to find out what is different from my build?

Yes, it's all the way in (I don't see any of the flat area).

Every time I turn the steering wheel, it comes off, also the button only can be pressed when the steering wheel is slightly turned (I followed the instructions to the letter).

In the photos you should be able to see that the interior pins don't align with the chassis slots, even though the steering axis is in the right place.

IMG_4141.HEIC IMG_4140.HEIC IMG_4143.HEIC IMG_4142.HEIC

• Administrator

Hi Robbert, sorry our forum has been down since Friday following an upgrade by the software company, so we've only just seen your reply now its back. Lou is not around today, but I will get him to take a look tomorrow.

On 9/30/2020 at 1:17 PM, Robbert said:

Yes, it's all the way in (I don't see any of the flat area).

Every time I turn the steering wheel, it comes off, also the button only can be pressed when the steering wheel is slightly turned (I followed the instructions to the letter).

In the photos you should be able to see that the interior pins don't align with the chassis slots, even though the steering axis is in the right place.

IMG_4141.HEIC 1.94 MB · 14 downloads IMG_4140.HEIC 1.41 MB · 7 downloads IMG_4143.HEIC 1018.52 kB · 7 downloads IMG_4142.HEIC 1.55 MB · 7 downloads

Thanks for the photos. Steering wheel coming off when you turn it suggests that it is jammed somewhere. 

When you say the pins do not align. Do you mean the bit circled in blue? These definitely need to fit and align correctly or the steering column will sit too high. Take off the interior and try re fitting it. It is only just off, so try pushing it with a little force. Also check that the wire runs along the steering column isn't preventing ti from turning properly. You could try rethreading the wire so that it doesn't hamper the turning movement.

Presumably the wheels turn ok if you move them by holding the wheel itself?

IMG_4142.thumb.png.a4b25e25fe44d0d107e2e1bcf9f6d33c.png

IMG_4142.HEIC

Hi Lou,

1 hour ago, General Lou said:

Thanks for the photos. Steering wheel coming off when you turn it suggests that it is jammed somewhere. 

When you say the pins do not align. Do you mean the bit circled in blue? These definitely need to fit and align correctly or the steering column will sit too high. Take off the interior and try re fitting it. It is only just off, so try pushing it with a little force. Also check that the wire runs along the steering column isn't preventing ti from turning properly. You could try rethreading the wire so that it doesn't hamper the turning movement.

Presumably the wheels turn ok if you move them by holding the wheel itself?

The steering wheel does turn, but the silver/brown part is just not fixed, it's very loose.

On the photo it's indeed the pin circled in blue, but it's for all 4 pins. I can't move the interior assemble more forward, because of the steering cog, which is allready where it's supposed to be. The wire is not in the way and is fitted properly.

Could it be that the black ring on the steering axle is not far enough on the axle, so that the lower part is too long (causing the whole assembly to misalign) and the upper part is too short (causing the steering wheel to fall off constantly).

45 minutes ago, Robbert said:

Here’s a video of the steering wheel coming off without effort. You also see mee clicking it back on and removing it again. 

FullSizeRender.mov 11.71 MB · 3 downloads

I think the best thing is if I send you a replacement steering wheel assembly (stage 61). I will also build stage 61 and check it works on mine, and send you it as well. If these don't work then the problem is somewhere else. 

Can you private message me your delivery address. 

On 9/29/2020 at 11:38 PM, Robbert said:

For me the steering wheel is very loose on the steering axis. Also the interiot pins do not align with the chassis holes after fitting them together.

Can't see where I went wrong.

I have just rebuilt a steering wheel for you and tried fitting it and had a similar problem with the pins. On further investigation it seems this can happen if the you attach the steering before you have screwed the cabin to the chassis. What I did was remove the steering wheel from the dashboard completely, then screw the cabin on to the chassis. Once the cabbin is secure on the chassis, I then re fitted the steering wheel (this is a different order to the official instructions). 

You can watch the video here: https://youtu.be/7BzDM0JLFHg

You will see on the video that you have to use a bit of force to get all the pins aligned on the chassis properly, so that the screws fits.

(I will still send replacements)

22 hours ago, General Lou said:

I have just rebuilt a steering wheel for you and tried fitting it and had a similar problem with the pins. On further investigation it seems this can happen if the you attach the steering before you have screwed the cabin to the chassis. What I did was remove the steering wheel from the dashboard completely, then screw the cabin on to the chassis. Once the cabbin is secure on the chassis, I then re fitted the steering wheel (this is a different order to the official instructions). 

You can watch the video here: https://youtu.be/7BzDM0JLFHg

You will see on the video that you have to use a bit of force to get all the pins aligned on the chassis properly, so that the screws fits.

(I will still send replacements)

Bang on. I had exactly the same problem: - where the steering pinion in correct position in the chassis frame was mis-aligning the cabin-to-chassis location pins. I removed the steering wheel, screwed down the cabin and refit the steering column and wheel. Unfortunately, all the messing around means the steering wheel to column fit is now slack and sadly forces off the horn button when turned. Gluing the shaft to the steering wheel is an option, but will not prevent to centre button from becoming unattached. Although it clicks when pressed, theres also no way of knowing if the horn switch is also affected and potentially not working until we connect the power pack presumably in a later issue. Perhaps a note advising builders of a suggested revised fitting order should be included in future packs. 

34 minutes ago, Kitman said:

Bang on. I had exactly the same problem: - where the steering pinion in correct position in the chassis frame was mis-aligning the cabin-to-chassis location pins. I removed the steering wheel, screwed down the cabin and refit the steering column and wheel. Unfortunately, all the messing around means the steering wheel to column fit is now slack and sadly forces off the horn button when turned. Gluing the shaft to the steering wheel is an option, but will not prevent to centre button from becoming unattached. Although it clicks when pressed, theres also no way of knowing if the horn switch is also affected and potentially not working until we connect the power pack presumably in a later issue. Perhaps a note advising builders of a suggested revised fitting order should be included in future packs. 

I will talk to the writer about the fitting order of the build.

Also let me know if you need any replacement parts.

1 hour ago, General Lou said:

Thanks Lou, I will if I can’t come up with an alternative solution. I’ve put it away for now, a tad frustrating. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Lou,

I just fitted your build replacement steering column. See the photo what happens. The steering column splits when it is fitted. The steering wheel doesn’t fit on. I will build the new unbuild replacement and see what happens. 

With kind regards,

Robbert

image.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/8/2020 at 11:14 AM, General Lou said:

Just got the build out again to add 9 and 10 but the steering wheel and centre boss are still coming loose when turning the wheels with the model held in mid-air. If you could arrange some replacement parts Lou I would be grateful. Thanks for your offer.

On 11/20/2020 at 10:36 AM, Kitman said:

Just got the build out again to add 9 and 10 but the steering wheel and centre boss are still coming loose when turning the wheels with the model held in mid-air. If you could arrange some replacement parts Lou I would be grateful. Thanks for your offer.

Absolutely, I will get a stage 61 sent out to you asap. If you could private message me your address that would be great.

• 1 month later...

Hi Kitman and General

I’m having the same problem. Couldn’t get the floor to fit with chassis after setting up steering column. Tried your resequence of floor then steering - now the fitting is very close but I can’t get the screw in to the top of column behind the dash. It’s almost like the steering column is about 1 and a half mm too long. I’ve tried to get the spindle further on to the shaft but to no avail.  

any other tips would be very welcome. 

thanks

Chooksclan

3 hours ago, Chooksclan said:

Hi Kitman and General

I’m having the same problem. Couldn’t get the floor to fit with chassis after setting up steering column. Tried your resequence of floor then steering - now the fitting is very close but I can’t get the screw in to the top of column behind the dash. It’s almost like the steering column is about 1 and a half mm too long. I’ve tried to get the spindle further on to the shaft but to no avail.  

any other tips would be very welcome. 

thanks

Chooksclan

I filed away the bottom part of the pinion as I found the column slightly too long. File that away right down to the gear/teeth, and the wheel pushes on nicely against the steering column. The column mount also then screwed perfectly into position.

(Disclaimer: I shan't be held responsible for loss, theft, accidental damage or loss of life)

Hi James,

Thanks for the tip!!  The pinion already on column so filing in situation will be ok I assume? I’ve been using a nail file til now - do you recommend a particular grade of file to use?
Thanks in advance - and yes hopefully this will fix the Seating for the steering wheel as well.

Chaooksclan

16 hours ago, Chooksclan said:

Hi James,

Thanks for the tip!!  The pinion already on column so filing in situation will be ok I assume? I’ve been using a nail file til now - do you recommend a particular grade of file to use?
Thanks in advance - and yes hopefully this will fix the Seating for the steering wheel as well.

Chaooksclan

I removed the steering column from the car, totally, and filed it with a small coarse Permagrit file. Any coarse/medium file will do, even some decent sanding paper like 80 grade aluminium oxide paper.

• 4 weeks later...