Why is there not a train partwork?

Maikel098

Does someone know why there's not a single train partwork active right now?

There's a LOT of cars, some planes and now the tank, but haven't seen a train anywhere!

Am I the only one that's really looking forward to that? I think it would be a great oppurtunity (and gap in the market!) for Agora to release one!

• 6 months later...
On 4/13/2022 at 11:02 AM, admin said:

Which trains have international appeal? And what scale to do?

We should probably agree on an era as well. Personally, steam engines have more appeal to me than diesel or electric. They elicit a certain visceral feeling with their belching of smoke and steam and moving parts. None are more impressive than the Union Pacific 4-8-8-4 Big Boy. With an overall length of 133 ft. a 'G' scale version would result in a massive almost 6 ft model. Simulations could include motorized drive wheels synchronized to smoke/steam and sound effects. Shudder to think of the price. 

• Like 1

You're comparing Evening Star and Mallard to a 'Big Boy' which holds the world record in weight and overall length? Thanks I needed a laugh.

We could compromise and go with the world's oldest steam engine still in operation, India's Fairy Queen. Now everyone can have a laugh.

• 1 year later...
On 4/15/2022 at 12:09 AM, ThomasJW said:

We should probably agree on an era as well. Personally, steam engines have more appeal to me than diesel or electric. They elicit a certain visceral feeling with their belching of smoke and steam and moving parts. None are more impressive than the Union Pacific 4-8-8-4 Big Boy. With an overall length of 133 ft. a 'G' scale version would result in a massive almost 6 ft model. Simulations could include motorized drive wheels synchronized to smoke/steam and sound effects. Shudder to think of the price. 

On 4/13/2022 at 4:02 PM, admin said:

I think the most iconic would be the Flying Scotsman in it's current state. It's known the world over and it still operates. Second to this would be Tornado. In terms of scale, it would need to be 1/43 scale.

14 minutes ago, 37401 said:

I think the most iconic would be the Flying Scotsman in it's current state. It's known the world over and it still operates. Second to this would be Tornado. In terms of scale, it would need to be 1/43 scale.

IMG_1951.png

• Administrator
On 4/13/2022 at 4:02 PM, admin said:

The Flying Scotsman may have international appeal.  The loco has done a world tour if I recall.  O gauge or G gauge would make nice impressive displays.

An early Japanese Shinkansen may also be worth a thought.

Personally, I'd like to see The Rocket and The Locomotion, but they might be a bit niche.....

• 2 weeks later...

I believe Hachette did a Trial of the Hogwart's Express about 3 years ago....was really hoping that one would make it to production.  Nice looking train, international appeal, and a pretty dedicated fanbase.  I'm not even a Harry Potter Fan and I was planning on subscribing if it came to the US.

• 1 month later...
On 9/20/2023 at 2:18 PM, chewie402 said:

I believe Hachette did a Trial of the Hogwart's Express about 3 years ago....was really hoping that one would make it to production.  Nice looking train, international appeal, and a pretty dedicated fanbase.  I'm not even a Harry Potter Fan and I was planning on subscribing if it came to the US.

Hogwarts express would have been amazing!I'm a huge potter fan and have been since I was about 7 lol!

A train build would be a nice change from what we have so far.  Something completely new and I can't think of any other model company who has done one🤔

Deagostini used to offer train builds years ago. None of them were UK trains though. I'm not  huge train fan, so can't remember the details, but I'm pretty sure there were at least two - one American and one Japanese.

(and having said I'm not a train fan, I'd still be interested if any iconic UK steam engines came up - I have to agree that the Rocket would be really cool!)

• Like 1

Hachette did The Mallard and Flying Scotsman. If I recall correctly, they were based on a DJH model where you can get a superior kit for around £800. They were predominantly brass and were delivered un-painted. They were generally unpopular with train enthusiasts and kit builders as they were too expensive compared to alternatives on the market. They were also designed to be glued rather than soldered so you had to treat the parts before you could actually solder them. This meant that they were better suited to static display. The question was why get that when you can get a running model for less. Then you could also get a resin kit from JLTRT. I'm not sure who Hachette were aiming at as the concept had a bit of an identity crisis. To make it more viable it would have to be priced realistically as a static model or produced to fit in the current market as a kit build loco. With things improving with the likes of Accurascale and Revolution as well as Heljan and now Dapol making O Gauge, I feel that it would be difficult to produce anything that fit with what is currently available. I can't imagine Stephenson's Rocket appealing to many and as for G scale, It would be too big. I feel that something like a Japanese Shinkansen (Bullet Train) would have even less appeal. It's effectively an EMU without any rolling stock. That's before you consider it's just part of a unit. From a building point of view, I feel it would be as boring as the finished result. Unpopular opinions maybe but my thoughts and that of fellow railway modellers, builders and collectors.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, 37401 said:

Hachette did The Mallard and Flying Scotsman. If I recall correctly, they were based on a DJH model where you can get a superior kit for around £800. They were predominantly brass and were delivered un-painted. They were generally unpopular with train enthusiasts and kit builders as they were too expensive compared to alternatives on the market. They were also designed to be glued rather than soldered so you had to treat the parts before you could actually solder them. This meant that they were better suited to static display. The question was why get that when you can get a running model for less. Then you could also get a resin kit from JLTRT. I'm not sure who Hachette were aiming at as the concept had a bit of an identity crisis. To make it more viable it would have to be priced realistically as a static model or produced to fit in the current market as a kit build loco. With things improving with the likes of Accurascale and Revolution as well as Heljan and now Dapol making O Gauge, I feel that it would be difficult to produce anything that fit with what is currently available. I can't imagine Stephenson's Rocket appealing to many and as for G scale, It would be too big. I feel that something like a Japanese Shinkansen (Bullet Train) would have even less appeal. It's effectively an EMU without any rolling stock. That's before you consider it's just part of a unit. From a building point of view, I feel it would be as boring as the finished result. Unpopular opinions maybe but my thoughts and that of fellow railway modellers, builders and collectors.

Appreciate your feedback and see where you are coming from with your post.👍

Makes more sense to just invest in a proper railway kit so you can have all kinds of different trains and have it moving around a track with what you like.

As a rough estimate what do you think it would cost to have a train running around a 3-4 metre track with scenery and all the bells and whistles?

It would depend on many factors and ultimately depend on how long the piece of string is. Many people make it a lifelong task and spend just as much money. There are plenty of groups on Facebook for the various gauges. Many are selling groups but others offer advice which will serve better to answer your question. 

• Thanks 1