My take on the DB5 build

Jo.Mora

7 hours ago, Jo.Mora said:

Ok, calling it a day...

ย 

ย 

You know you're only trying to kid yourself... you will be sitting there looking at the TV but really you'll be thinking of that next little tweak or modย ๐Ÿ˜‰ย Great work ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Fitted the engine bay and engine today. It went smoothly except for one exhaust pipe that didn't want to "cooperate".

Being persuasive, it finally settled where it's supposed. Pretty happy with the result so far.

ย 

ย 

20240730_131932.jpg

• Like 3

Did the Throttle linkage today... Couldn't find many pictures around (Thx @Oliv79ย for your help on the research!)...

In any case, this is what I came up with... Seems to have a "rigid linkage (meaning no cable) witch was not uncommon on cars back then.

If someone out there has access to a 64 Aston Martin DB5, let me know, I may have a mission for you! ๐Ÿ˜‚

20240801_174354.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Jo.Mora said:

Did the Throttle linkage today... Couldn't find many pictures around (Thx @Oliv79ย for your help on the research!)...

In any case, this is what I came up with... Seems to have a "rigid linkage (meaning no cable) witch was not uncommon on cars back then.

If someone out there has access to a 64 Aston Martin DB5, let me know, I may have a mission for you! ๐Ÿ˜‚

20240801_174354.jpg

It looks real! Next step will be to start the engine๐Ÿ˜

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Linkage looks amazing J! And I agree with you, throttle linkages were the primary method of opening your carburetor(s) and giving an engine gas, unless it was a lawn mower or motorcycle, LOL.ย 

Cables didn't become the primary method until the 80's, of course driven by saving money.ย 

• Like 1

Here's a comparaison of the original "Out Of The Box" Agora NTTD DB5 and "My take". I have to say that Agora has done a F A B U L O U S job with this kit! Details and proportions are spot on (compared to previous offerings IMHO). This kit is an amazing base for obsessive compulsive people like me to keep adding details! ๐Ÿคช

This DB5 is absolutely great OOTB, but if you have time and interest, you can take it to the next level.

This is my first time with Agora and despite the shipping issues, i think they have and outstanding product.

Can't wait to see the rest of it!

OOTB vs MT.jpg

• Like 4

Oh boy! Wish I have never seen this picture! ๐Ÿคฃ

1965-aston-martin-db5-bond-car-_29.webp.6cf75e8c19b3b123237ad5e45bc33764.webp

This is the Goldfinger version though... But no, I'm not gonna go there. ๐Ÿ™„

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Quiet afternoon today... A little weathering on the silencers and "thinning" of the exhaust tips wall (removing the chrome from the inner bore by the same token).

Here you can see the before and after. Small detail, but I think it looks more credible.

Tip: I used a tiny round file to do this.20240806_135836.thumb.jpg.c843e7b11ccad14f4bfdd2450c1553f0.jpg

• Like 3

One little thing I noticed...

If I rely on my experience as an aircraft mechanic, I assume that the "Mines Release" cylinders are pneumatically operated, just because pneumatic is much faster then hydraulics.

That being said, all cylinders (actuators) need and Extend and Retract circuit. Unless of course if they are spring loaded in eater direction.ย 

In the Agora configuration, the hoses are connected (only) to the Retract side of the actuators. Meaning that they have to be spring loaded to extend. If that's the case, any leak or failure in the system would cause the mines to be launched... Not a good idea! ๐Ÿคช20240806_205916.thumb.jpg.fd53f55e1aee172c83ce8c5df26e6881.jpg

I know I overthink everything but just to be safe, I added the Extend circuit. And since nobody has seen the underneath of the NTTD DB5, I don't expect any complains... ๐Ÿคฃ

ย 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Ethernet on the DB5?? Not really... ๐Ÿ˜…

I did some testing on my "blinker circuit". and I found out that with a fresh set of 3 AA batteries (not 3 AAA like the ones powering the DB5), they would only last for about 24h.

So I was looking for a way to externally power the DB5 (with larger batteries or a power supply) and by the same token, to control some extra features (blinkers and dome lights... for now).

Finding a small enough connector with the required number of contacts was not easy. I settled for the RJ45 that has 8 contacts.

The idea is that I intend to put the DB5 in a display case once completed, and I don't want to have to open the case to turn it on and off, or to change the batteries...

This is still in the "experimental" stage for now but if it works, it should be pretty amazing I think...!ย 

Any thoughts?

20240813_124205.jpg

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Jo.Mora said:

Ethernet on the DB5?? Not really... ๐Ÿ˜…

I did some testing on my "blinker circuit". and I found out that with a fresh set of 3 AA batteries (not 3 AAA like the ones powering the DB5), they would only last for about 24h.

So I was looking for a way to externally power the DB5 (with larger batteries or a power supply) and by the same token, to control some extra features (blinkers and dome lights... for now).

Finding a small enough connector with the required number of contacts was not easy. I settled for the RJ45 that has 8 contacts.

The idea is that I intend to put the DB5 in a display case once completed, and I don't want to have to open the case to turn it on and off, or to change the batteries...

This is still in the "experimental" stage for now but if it works, it should be pretty amazing I think...!ย 

Any thoughts?

20240813_124205.jpg

Hello Joaquin,

Very good idea.

I never tested but I know that you can find existing solution on the market. You can buy kit which can replace batteries by adaptator. Easy solution with less work. May some members already use this kind of solution?

image.png.9c72997ead7c50f03db110c3969c5d7b.png

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Oliv79 said:

Hello Joaquin,

Very good idea.

I never tested but I know that you can find existing solution on the market. You can buy kit which can replace batteries by adaptator. Easy solution with less work. May some members already use this kind of solution?

image.png.9c72997ead7c50f03db110c3969c5d7b.png

Salut Olivier!

Yes, that was my first option. But since I want to add features (blinkers and dome lights with external switches), I wanted to integrate everything in one single connector. That's why I chose the RJ45...๐Ÿ˜‰

We'll see if it works...

• Like 3

Wow, well given the time periods between kits, it seems like the logical next step, for you would be to completely reengineer the power supply.ย ๐Ÿ˜‰

I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with and how it will work.ย 

ย 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, chipsatzinvalide said:

Hello
I solved the problem with an Arduino and a 5V power supply. This way the model can stand in the display case and I can control the whole thing via cell phone or laptop. Check out the German forum "non agora models" VW Beetle. Good luck and greetings DC

I had a little trouble locating it, but here's the page address;ย 

ย 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, chipsatzinvalide said:

Hello
I solved the problem with an Arduino and a 5V power supply. This way the model can stand in the display case and I can control the whole thing via cell phone or laptop. Check out the German forum "non agora models" VW Beetle. Good luck and greetings DC

Hi! Thanks for your input!

This looks very interesting but unfortunately my my German is really bad (like, not at all! ๐Ÿ˜‚) and I don't see a "recipe" on how this is put together or how it works.

I'm very basic with electronics and never worked with Arduino. Perhaps you could guide me (us)?

Maybe you could make a tutorial on how this is done? I'm sure that many of us would be interested...

Prost!

ย 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Pack 11 instructions are out!!!

Browsed quickly through it and already planning some stuff...

Still not convinced of the "digital" plates.

Oh! And received shipping notification for Pack 9!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Jo.Mora said:

Pack 11 instructions are out!!!

Browsed quickly through it and already planning some stuff...

Still not convinced of the "digital" plates.

Oh! And received shipping notification for Pack 9!!

Thanks for the news.ย 

I agree with you, I' m not convinced too. It is neither acurate compared to the movie's one nor looking realistic...

It seems like non-LED plates are not in relief, any tips to do the lettering?

Good news for the notification, I Never received one so each delivery is a surprise! ๐Ÿ˜

LS_DB5_4.thumb.jpg.a33eeef11dfd416b81345491e352fd1e.jpgLS_CC1.thumb.jpg.5ab5b5c3b70cbc2dfc67c5c604dd8eb3.jpgLS_Am_1.thumb.jpg.735a0bd6bd1bb14c225652972132eae8.jpgLS_DB5.thumb.jpg.b10cdc4f80e085877708182d6040cc94.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Oliv79 said:

Thanks for the news.ย 

I agree with you, I' m not convinced too. It is neither acurate compared to the movie's one nor looking realistic...

It seems like non-LED plates are not in relief, any tips to do the lettering?

Salut Oliver!

Unfortunately, I don't have a solution for the "relief" plate... Yet!... Not sure my "cheap" 3D printer can handle such fine details. Ideally, it would be nice to be photo etched but doing this at home is quite difficult due to the chemicals involved in the process.

I will do some testing, ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1