Black gull wing

Brudda

Putting together pack 2 . I clean up the parts so they do not look like toys. Example is the seam line. I sanded the part and painted it trim black. I also paint the bolts. It just adds more detail to the build. For those of you guys who are not familiar with IPMS rules for competition, you should look them up, this will help make your model a better model. I do have a little experience with IPMS. Won a 1st , 2nd , 3rd place and a special award at the nationals. Competition makes you a better modeler. You can also go superdetailing if you would like. Some people love that. But in this build it’s a pretty good kit. I’m just doing my thing on the Mercedes to make it a little better. 

IMG_9077.jpeg

IMG_9076.jpeg

IMG_9074.jpeg

1 hour ago, Brudda said:

Putting together pack 2 . I clean up the parts so they do not look like toys. Example is the seam line. I sanded the part and painted it trim black. I also paint the bolts. It just adds more detail to the build. For those of you guys who are not familiar with IPMS rules for competition, you should look them up, this will help make your model a better model. I do have a little experience with IPMS. Won a 1st , 2nd , 3rd place and a special award at the nationals. Competition makes you a better modeler. You can also go superdetailing if you would like. Some people love that. But in this build it’s a pretty good kit. I’m just doing my thing on the Mercedes to make it a little better. 

IMG_9077.jpeg

IMG_9076.jpeg

IMG_9074.jpeg

Sanding seam lines. Repainting. Just a little extra work but worth it. Let me say that if you do just a little more , these kits are a bargain compared to the amalagam models. Compare the price and you will see, these are fantastic kits. 

IMG_9085.jpeg

IMG_9084.jpeg

IMG_9083.jpeg

IMG_9082.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Hello,

nice progress, I like it.

I see you left the gearbox red. Unfortunately, I never saw a red gear in any of the original pictures.

Do you know more about this? Why did IXO make this in red?

I would also be interested to know how exactly you do this with the logos and lettering after repainting?

Do you want to install the hubcaps on them?

I would like to represent Rudge closures, but I can't find anything suitable. Let's see how you can file something like this yourself from a piece of plastic.

On 10/15/2023 at 1:38 AM, keramh said:

Hello,

nice progress, I like it.

I see you left the gearbox red. Unfortunately, I never saw a red gear in any of the original pictures.

Do you know more about this? Why did IXO make this in red?

I would also be interested to know how exactly you do this with the logos and lettering after repainting?

Do you want to install the hubcaps on them?

I would like to represent Rudge closures, but I can't find anything suitable. Let's see how you can file something like this yourself from a piece of plastic.

Hello I do not know why the gearbox is red. I’m leaving it red. I thought it might be silver or flat aluminum. I took the chrome lettering off with a razor blade. You have to be very careful. I am having the Mercedes decal made that mounts in front of the hood. The wheel I have polished and just might find a knock off that may work. 

IMG_9354.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here is number 27. I have glued the pieces together and sanded and painted the part. I have removed the seam lines. I am doing this to the whole build. , makes the car look better . In my humble opinion. Here is a picture of the primer I use. It is expensive but works very well. 

IMG_9529.jpeg

IMG_9526.jpeg

IMG_9527.jpeg

IMG_9528.jpeg

IMG_9525.jpeg

IMG_9524.jpeg

IMG_9522.jpeg

Now I recognized it on the edge, these are the etched parts from Karsten Schmidt "FineModelCar".

Unfortunately he no longer produces them, at least that's the answer to my query. It's a shame, it's a shame.

If anyone has these lying around and wants to get rid of them, I'm looking for them!

• 3 months later...