Steering wheel position clarification

The instructions state that the flat side should line up with one of the spokes on the steering for correct center positioning. As you can see from my photo it is on the opposite side, this is the same which ever way you put the rod in. Just need clarification which one is correct.

steering wheel agora.jpg

steering wheel.JPG

I have had a reply from Agora, which I have pasted below. Hope this helps.

Our experts have given us the following information. 
Once you fit the steering column and then the steering column cover, they suggest you apply the steering wheel badge. This will then help you identify what is the top spoke, and you can then align the flat end with the column. 
I hope this helps. 

Thank you,
Customer Service Team

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Richard Gregory said:

I have had a reply from Agora, which I have pasted below. Hope this helps.

Our experts have given us the following information. 
Once you fit the steering column and then the steering column cover, they suggest you apply the steering wheel badge. This will then help you identify what is the top spoke, and you can then align the flat end with the column. 
I hope this helps. 

Thank you,
Customer Service Team

Thank you, when we do receive Pack 7, this is helpful!

• 2 weeks later...

Whilst I would agree with the logic, an actual photo of the DB5 does show the spoke at the 12 o'clock position

640px-Paris_-_RM_Sotheby’s_2016_-_Aston_Martin_DB5_-_1963_-_007.jpg

• Like 4

Then the kit is wrong, I have tried always 

The flats are both on the same side and should be opposite to make the steering  wheel correct, so mine will be wrong unless agora admit the instructions are either wrong for pack 7 or when the steering  rack was built. Either way mine will have spoke pointing down 

Looking through the product page for the db5 it actually shows the steering wheel installed as per the parts and the logo is away from the 3rd spoke. The opposite of the instructions.

Screenshot_20240606_111026_Chrome.thumb.jpg.e53554b8a8f02d51783ca504e7bde5e9.jpg

Also the £90k replica has it as the parts are.

Screenshot_20240606_111625_Chrome.thumb.jpg.313e2d0a30ff3a06da1b07589fbecc4f.jpg

From looking through stuff online the original goldfinger car had the spoke pointing up and the new no time to die car has it pointing down.

Also prob the best video ive found actually showing the steering wheel

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This is interesting, re-reading the response @Richard Gregory received, it doesn't really clearly define the proper installation of the wheel to the column, just kinda says "put the sticker on and it'll tell you the proper position". 

Given the column will only fit into the steering rod one way (from what I recall the instructions stated to "ensure the flat spot was down"??) That pretty much determines the direction, unless (as many have done) you modify the mounting hardware. 

Used to be, and I am speaking completely out of school here, many high-performance vehicles were designed to ensure the wheel sat at a certain point, giving the driver the best view of the instruments. Looking through the myriad of photos provided here and other posts, the center spoke is in the 12 o'clock position as often as with it in the 6, which gives you a nice view of the gauges. It's possible the directions are wrong, and support is simply relaying what someone at HQ said, in response to the question. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CraigThePlague said:

For what it's worth, here is a picture I found that was taken on the set of No Time To Die showing the spoke at 12 o'clock.

No-Time-To-Die_Set-Visit_Matera_28.thumb.jpg.4f7a58894862592e67e2b281e6f8d532.jpg

If you go to  Aston Martin: No Time To Die - Drive there are 43 gorgeous photos of the DB5. 

There is a great one of the engine bay.

Thanks for the Link, great photos indeed!

Anyone else noticed this? The NTTD DB5 doesn't seem to have the "Radar" screen... 🤔

Image1.jpg

• Like 2

Anyone else noticed this? The NTTD DB5 doesn't seem to have the "Radar" screen... 🤔

Hi Jo.Mora, I did indeed notice that and also that the lower trim on the drivers side is hanging down so it leads me to think that someone on set has had to remove these parts... perhaps to hot wire it 😄 Don't forget they used about 10 DB5's to film NTTD.

Eight DB5 stunt replicas were said to be built by Aston Martin for the filming of No Time to Die and two cars that also appeared in GoldenEye, Tomorrow Never Dies, Skyfall and Spectre were used for some close-ups.

• Like 2

It seems as commented agora are sticking to a stock answer so without a modified replacement steering wheel with the flat on the opposite side coming anytime soon, does anyone have a mod they can share that is effective and robust? 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Wtshark said:

This is interesting, re-reading the response @Richard Gregory received, it doesn't really clearly define the proper installation of the wheel to the column, just kinda says "put the sticker on and it'll tell you the proper position". 

Given the column will only fit into the steering rod one way (from what I recall the instructions stated to "ensure the flat spot was down"??) That pretty much determines the direction, unless (as many have done) you modify the mounting hardware. 

Used to be, and I am speaking completely out of school here, many high-performance vehicles were designed to ensure the wheel sat at a certain point, giving the driver the best view of the instruments. Looking through the myriad of photos provided here and other posts, the center spoke is in the 12 o'clock position as often as with it in the 6, which gives you a nice view of the gauges. It's possible the directions are wrong, and support is simply relaying what someone at HQ said, in response to the question. 

I didn't understand the response and was waiting for Wayne to make a video on stage 7, but with the delay in sending out pack 7 it is a long wait. It also seems that now that pack 7 is going out everyone else is catching up. I was very lucky in that I got pack 7 when I did.

Still not convinced on the correct position but might just build it and see where it ends up.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Richard Gregory said:

I didn't understand the response and was waiting for Wayne to make a video on stage 7, but with the delay in sending out pack 7 it is a long wait. It also seems that now that pack 7 is going out everyone else is catching up. I was very lucky in that I got pack 7 when I did.

Still not convinced on the correct position but might just build it and see where it ends up.

Agreed, as you were one of the first (if not the first) to receive Pack 7, and then the massive shipping delay, you were on the vanguard of this. You could also be right with put it together and see where it winds up, as it will go together flat to flat. Frankly, I think it will look great either way. 💥

• Like 2

I have now just finished installing pack 7 and can see what everyone has been talking about, (sorry for the delay! 😉)

I think that the position of the steering wheel will be determined later on when we connect it to the steering rod that was fitted in pack 4, stage 26, page 17.

This may have to be re-visited to ensure that a spoke is at 12 o'clock when the wheels are straight ahead, and then insert the badge on the steering wheel accordingly.

What are your thoughts/comments.

• Like 1

Craig the plague appears to have the same opinion as myself. The problem will be connecting the wheel to the rack as the screw to hold them both together will only go in one way ....that makes the wheel the wrong way round so a modified part needs supplying 

• Like 1

I think that when we connect the steering column to the steering rod universal joint, we will have to disconnect it from the steering rack to position the steering wheel spoke to a 12 o'clock position, then re-engage it into the rack... maybe!?!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So as an update, (without wanting to peeve anyone), I was lucky enough to have pack 8 delivered last weekend and once I had finished assembling the parts my steering wheel had a spoke at 3 o'clock when the front wheels were pointing straight ahead, so by gently levering the rack and pinion apart I was able to relocate them so that I now have a spoke at 12 o'clock. I then mounted the center boss vertically.

Not the most technically correct way of doing it, more brawn than brains, but it worked for me.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, CraigThePlague said:

So as an update, (without wanting to peeve anyone), I was lucky enough to have pack 8 delivered last weekend and once I had finished assembling the parts my steering wheel had a spoke at 3 o'clock when the front wheels were pointing straight ahead, so by gently levering the rack and pinion apart I was able to relocate them so that I now have a spoke at 12 o'clock. I then mounted the center boss vertically.

Not the most technically correct way of doing it, more brawn than brains, but it worked for me.

Ok, thanks for posting, so the alignment is off, but you were able to re-align the steering gear to get the wheel to the proper orientation, (spoke at 12:00). I assumed you could just as easily set it at the 6 O'clock if you were so inclined? 

I'm very glad you've received Pack 8, (no peeve here, lol). While I am still awaiting Pack 7, I did receive notice it's been shipped and should be here one day next week. I am glad there was a lot of discussion about this, it gives those of use behind everyone else insights and potential corrections before we assemble. I may mount my wheel with the spoke @ the 6, with the logo upright, but technically "upside down", if for no other reason than to see the gauges clearly. Or, I may do it at 12 and turn the wheels slightly for display. Seems I have a number of options. 🙂

• Like 1