How I weathered my r2d2

Hi guys,just wanted to post some pics and advice on what I did to weather my r2d2.

Everyone has their own way and do what suits you best but I found this way to be pretty straight forward and easy to adjust if you make a mistake.

If This is something you might consider in the future i think it's a nice mod and although r2d2 looks awesome as he is,the weathering gives it something extra and makes him stand out.

Firstly you must aquire these Oilbrushes (ebay,hobby shops) they are relatively cheap around £3-£4 each  and go a long way for the price.i haven't had to buy any more and I have nearly finished weathering the full r2d2.

16978785548867322050337064824549.thumb.jpg.5caa6c8127f913cf9ba9ab94b90ea48c.jpg

I prefer the look of black over starship filth so haven't used much of the starship filth.  I mainly used the black and rust.  But you can see what you prefer when you start.

Then get your self some tissue sheets and your ready to give it a try.  

This is one of the panel weathered so you can see the effect it has and also a panel I haven't touched yet.

16978794308482705339342062922260.thumb.jpg.e6546a8e34ed2f56d0cd8aff3828967a.jpg

16978794898605006002594456989275.thumb.jpg.f7d12c05f3b12e4f2dcda7d5eebc2338.jpg

16978795975765279703199955701441.thumb.jpg.89207644cb33e1a2e743fa6712f1d4ee.jpg

Not weathered👇

16978796752182618731469671878496.thumb.jpg.11d59dd8c6abc0604782e097b383cde0.jpg

so first give the oilbrush a good shake (I'm using black first) then apply into the grooves of the plastic.dont worry if it's not neat all the way it's OK if it goes onto the flat plastic as you will be wiping away and blending in the black to your liking.

16978799432456345892630786507072.thumb.jpg.3d4da034be7bee0322d31f4fa9d78144.jpg

Then wipe with a tissue over the panel and you can wipe over until your happy with how the oil is sitting.

16978801666194197704990040420231.thumb.jpg.b33162522f04b34a5f463e6399c7883c.jpg

16978802524015264515678413820479.thumb.jpg.00cea35c9a2ae68d88f98f3ee5940736.jpg

Then using a small paintbrush you can then drybrush the rest of the oil how you like to create the desired effect.(do not wet the brush with water,just dry)you can also wipe off the oil onto tissue if you feel you have too much on the brush.

16978803972833929278216330573197.thumb.jpg.16ddfc71328141ec4bf92d5d4ac8f81a.jpg

Then wipe away the oil how you like with tissue after drybrushing and see what your happy with.dont worry about it setting as it takes a good 48 hours to dry fully so if you make a big mistake then you can wet tissue and wipe clean.

16978806593524504189751054350921.thumb.jpg.94a4611f0c8a96f99de386bdf3c9c51f.jpg

Don't forget you can dab the drybrush on the plastic or sweep it up and down near the grooves to give effect of more dirt build up on edges or corners.

Dont be worried to Experiment and see what you like,for instance I will show you more buildup on the edge of the panel for a different effect.this time in rust.

16978812791677417265730140122410.thumb.jpg.50983416950269af78f3a4695575a58e.jpg

16978814889118947079530404848518.thumb.jpg.90dbfb3282d3db3b7d10c08ba936d2f7.jpg

16978816475406930282534476829190.thumb.jpg.a94dadf004ca382c8ae44517b4b4ed6a.jpg

Bit more wipe of tissue and light brush strokes and you get a nice thicker looking rust effect👇

16978818714302537323513173261673.thumb.jpg.de08bc114a4a384d16398d296379d1ff.jpg

Bear in mind if you leave it on thick it will take longer to dry so i like to do my black weathering first leave for a couple of days so it's dry,then I add my rust effect.

If anyone would like any more advice then please just send message and I will do my best to help.  Hopefully some of are agorians will find this helpful😁

Chris 

• Like 2

Hi Chris,

Thank you for uploading and the advice, I'm really used to only aging up dioramas and stuff like that for model scenery. So it's good to know you can afford to make errors and also repair them within a timeframe, I will certainly try those oilbrushes, and plus Chris you are absolutely right about R2, looking weathered looks much more realistic in the sense from R2 in the films, you have done a splendid job buddy.

So cheers to you for showing and explaining.

Found myself in a busy weekend here with family, not much time.

But wanted to let you know Chris its appreciated 👍

Cheers, Phil

• Thanks 1

Hey Phil

Thanks for the feedback,much appreciated.😁

Like I say its pretty straight forward in you don't have to be perfect with brushing the oil onto the model,its more how it looks when you have brushed it away with tissue and drybrush,then tissue wipe again if required.  I don't think you will have any issue with doing it with your wealth of background/experience  in models 🫡

Glad you spent some time with the family this weekend,can't beat it👍

I actually had a spare weekend for once so spent it touching up r2d2 and putting some more of the leopard together.

Will keep an eye on your profile and see how your other models are coming along.

You should post some pics of your other non agora models here when you get a chance.like a new thread with the batmobile for instance.im sure people will appreciate seeing how they are coming together.

Cheers,chris🥃

• Thanks 1

Thankyou notsram!😊

Appreciate your feedback,  I also weathered my terminator but that was done with nuln oil (warhammer oil for minis) so slightly different technique.

What you building at the mo?

Had a look at your profile but I cant see what's in your portfolio.

Cheers

Chris

Haha, I really should update my profile!

Currently, I'm 'only' building the Airfix re-issue of the Bentley Blower. Not an easy model and it's taking me some time, especially as it's the first time I've touched a plastic kit since I was a kid!

I am subbed to the DB7 though, which I think is starting to ship this week. Really looking forward to that! I missed out on the original Eaglemoss run, and always regretted it, although by all accounts it wasn't particuarly good. Hopefully the Agora model will be better 🙂

Nice stuff,those plastic airfix models are tough to do,you have to be so careful with cutting small parts out of the sprue and also very careful with glue I believe?

Agora db7 looks really well built, with all those different gadgets too I'm sure it will be a fun build.

Keep us updated on what you think when you recieve your first pack😊

• 2 months later...

Do you know Chris I am actually getting quiet sad as I'm coming towards the end of R2-D2, it's a strange feeling, I had it too with the Bismarck, like a feeling of melancholia, but I'm really happy to have weathered him up, really doesn't look much different to yours, though I was using some different aging materials.

I'm thinking of putting a laser gun blast mark on him, which is why a little delay in me putting pictures up, but I'm still not really decided.😏🤔

Of course it's going to be good see him up and running 🤞 and seeing what the dogs reaction is gonna be.

So it was really good to get chatting to you Chris, because you helped me decide.

11 hours ago, Phil said:

Do you know Chris I am actually getting quiet sad as I'm coming towards the end of R2-D2, it's a strange feeling, I had it too with the Bismarck, like a feeling of melancholia, but I'm really happy to have weathered him up, really doesn't look much different to yours, though I was using some different aging materials.

I'm thinking of putting a laser gun blast mark on him, which is why a little delay in me putting pictures up, but I'm still not really decided.😏🤔

Of course it's going to be good see him up and running 🤞 and seeing what the dogs reaction is gonna be.

So it was really good to get chatting to you Chris, because you helped me decide.

Hey Phil

I totally get the feeling of when you finish a model.it's kinda bittersweet.😀😌when I finished terminator I was so glad he was complete and it was awesome but the bitterness was knowing that he was done I wouldn't be working on him anymore after spending so many hours putting him together over a year or so.  It was done and all I could think about was what can I build next to get that feeling of accomplishment and excitement of each bit coming together to form this big scale model..

You described it perfect! it's melancholic and I'm sure you will experience it again when optimus is done!

It's awesome your r2 is weathered,it's really going to make him pop when you have him on display (after the fun of using him, chasing the dogs around the house,tinkering with the saber and hearing him whistle haha)

The laser blast would look really kool,you should give it a shot.(pardon the pun lol)

Been real good to chat to you too phil. Nice to have a lot in common here on the forum,also your enthusiasm for the hobby is great especially with how many models you have done and are doing. 

Can't wait to see your R2!!

Cheers 🍻

• Like 1

Well thank you Chris, what you said I concur with all the way, I maybe wrong, I don't know, but I believe our enthusiasm grows more enthusiasm, you amongst a few on here Chris I have really enjoyed speaking to, and don't let it be said, that a younger guy can't teach even a more senior guy new things to do with modelling, because Chris your enthusiasm is most contagious 😂 lol and I mean that in the most kindest way my friend. 

And you have helped me more than you can imagine, especially with R2-D2, I was just going to leave him be, but when I saw your pictures, I just had to go for it.

So I look forward to speaking a lot more to you Chris and many others here who fancy a chat, basically about anything! Because I believe we do Chris lol.

Cheers buddy 🍺

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind words Phil🤗 the feelings mutual.😁 Regardless of age I feel your interests are the same as mine which is great to chat about here on the forum and also it's nice to chat about other things were interested in e.g. Films,star wars,horror icons lol. 

I'm always down to chat about new things so feel free to start new threads in the non agora model chat forum. I'm sure there is lots we have yet to discuss haha😄

Been great sharing ideas and progress with our models.thanks to your posts and  progress with optimus im so tempted to just order him for my next build. I'm so surprised at the scale!his legs alone are huge and I think the size when he's done makes him a real show piece! Can't wait to see him when you get your last pack😀. All that metal goodness!!!epic.

Have a good weekend and I'll keep a tab on your profile to see what you been upto.( I check for new posts on the forum most days so I'm sure I'll see what the buzz is around here and for yourself)

Cheers my friend🍻

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Well Chris, you can imagine what's happening with my last 2 parts of R2-D2. It's not great news at moment, was expecting the parts within the past two weeks, but not a sign or sound of them 😕

They have not even taken the money yet either, so when I inquired what has happened by email, they said there had been logistical problems and they will email me when it's ready, that was two weeks ago, now fast forward to yesterday I rang them in the UK and spoke to a rep, who said that they have part 100, but not 99, I spoke of my concerns over what happened with my T-72 Tank when Model Space, did the dirty on me, so I was never allowed to finish it!

She said, there is no fear of that as they have already issued orders for issues 99 to be newly made.

I thought they were going to give me the excuse of what's happening in the Red Sea area at this time, but it was not mentioned. Though it may well have an effect on us all anyhow.

So nothing to worry about Chris, just delay and they can't give me a time frame. But it will happen.

Hope yours is not suffering delay at this time.

Cheers buddy 🍻 

• Sad 1

Hey Phil, 

Firstly thanks for the update, I have heard that issue 99 and 100 for other model makers for R2 has been delayed for a while 🙁.there is someone on the myr2d2build site in the comments who posted in January that he is waiting on 99 and 100 and literally have the excuse of the red sea issue is what's causing the delay of parts being shipped in time....

I'm thinking you should get the parts soon especially since you had contact with a rep,it's just so frustrating that you are on the last 2 issues and there is a delay!!!😩

I thought as much since I was waiting for your pics to come on to the agora forum. but now it's Feb I had a hunch that your still busy with building Prime or your taking extra time with the completion of r2.

Luckily I haven't had any delay as of yet,I will be getting issues 95-98 this month and then hopefully the last 2 in march.  I still need batteries for him though..where did you get yours?

I found a site ecoluxshopdirect.com who seem to have the batteries specifically for R2.I'm thinking maybe from there?

Cheers 🍻

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Christopher Christou said:

Hey Phil, 

Firstly thanks for the update, I have heard that issue 99 and 100 for other model makers for R2 has been delayed for a while 🙁.there is someone on the myr2d2build site in the comments who posted in January that he is waiting on 99 and 100 and literally have the excuse of the red sea issue is what's causing the delay of parts being shipped in time....

I'm thinking you should get the parts soon especially since you had contact with a rep,it's just so frustrating that you are on the last 2 issues and there is a delay!!!😩

I thought as much since I was waiting for your pics to come on to the agora forum. but now it's Feb I had a hunch that your still busy with building Prime or your taking extra time with the completion of r2.

Luckily I haven't had any delay as of yet,I will be getting issues 95-98 this month and then hopefully the last 2 in march.  I still need batteries for him though..where did you get yours?

I found a site ecoluxshopdirect.com who seem to have the batteries specifically for R2.I'm thinking maybe from there?

Cheers 🍻

Hey Chris! Thank you buddy, We will probably finish about same time, but that would be good 👍

As for the batteries Chris, yes that is where I bought my six from, they tend to sell out quickly Chris, keeping you in the loop, just be aware of that.

They are quite expensive, but they are officially for  R2-D2 😁

I abandoned the Lazer blast marks on the body as it just didn't look real enough, but as for overall weathering, he looks perfect as I know yours will too.

I know you'll know this already mate, take time on issues 95-98, especially wiring him up to the boards. Let me know how you get on.

Take care and cheers buddy.🍻

• Thanks 1

No problem I will take your advice on that one!!defo take my time.I just hope he turns out ok and everything works as it should 😅

Ok no probs I'll order those batteries soon,like 30 quid or so...but official for the R2D2 so will bite the bullet.  Thanks for the heads up!

Can't wait to compare models when done,be kool to see how yours turned out!

Cheers 🍻

• Thanks 1

It will be very Kool Chris.

And yes I am anxious too about when it gets to starting him up, is it going to all work okay or is it not? It's a huge question that the longer I wait the more anxiety I have.😱

I'm keeping 🤞 crossed fingers for both of us Chris.

Cheers buddy. 🍻👍😁

• Like 1

Chris - Nice job. 🙂

I used the same method on my R2 unit.  Just oil paints.  Pretty simple and quick.  I must admit the ol' R2 unit looked a little naked without weathering. He's a lot more at home now.

image.thumb.jpeg.28006125c1abc86629c39165c9b00535.jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, S4Simon said:

Chris - Nice job. 🙂

I used the same method on my R2 unit.  Just oil paints.  Pretty simple and quick.  I must admit the ol' R2 unit looked a little naked without weathering. He's a lot more at home now.

image.thumb.jpeg.28006125c1abc86629c39165c9b00535.jpeg

Good work Simon, you have weathered him down considerably!

I like that! Looks authentic.

As I got the delay, I might bring mine down even further.

Deagostini and other model suppliers just give us the blank canvas to work with.  Personally i could not stand looking at a raw underdeveloped finished model.  So I always apply my artistic licence. 

Falcon.thumb.jpg.1517563ccc7d0a741504b4287573dbf3.jpg

• Like 1

23 hours ago, S4Simon said:

Deagostini and other model suppliers just give us the blank canvas to work with.  Personally i could not stand looking at a raw underdeveloped finished model.  So I always apply my artistic licence. 

Falcon.thumb.jpg.1517563ccc7d0a741504b4287573dbf3.jpg

Amazing job Simon!

Takes a lot of love and effort to get the falcon looking that good. Phenomenal!! Your r2 is awesome too.  Mine looks nowhere near as good as yours!I need more practice haha but I'm going to post my fully done r2  when it's done. I hope to make it unique in some way with the weathering🤔

Nice one👍