Planned Modifications

MikeH

So I finally decided to subscribe to the Jaguar XKE.  However, based on photos there's some room for improvement.  I particularly dislike the all-one-piece dashboard panel with the molded-in toggle switches.  I recently ordered a NOS XKE toggle switch, which I'm going to measure and put into my CAD program so I can in turn use my 3D printer to make some better versions.  I'll probably end up doing a lot of that middle dash section separately.

I've been doing models for a long while, and am used to scratch-building things.  I'm seriously thinking about a complete makeover for this kit.  I'm going to be looking at some of the racing versions of the XKE, particularly the Cunningham cars.  The E2A would make for an interesting conversion -

spacer.png

- but at the very least I'm thinking there's a lot of room for additional detail on the engine.  And I'm seriously rethinking the red paint.  The Cunningham colors would be white with blue stripes; if I choose to go with the road-going version then I think an XKE should be BRG.

I'll update here as I decide on direction and any progress I make on improving the parts.

Totally agree about the dash center section and I would be a willing purchaser of those parts if you proceed to make them.  A racing mod is a great idea; Design 29 website  has a work in progress competition E type he is working on.

I got the NOS XKE toggle switch in the mail today, going to work on scaling it down for a 3D print.  Also have a couple good ideas on how to do the small gauges, I think they're Smith 52mm, if anyone can confirm.

The toggle looks shorter than the ones on the model's dash.  Not sure what pack the dash comes in, but would love a look at the parts.

XKE_Switch.jpg

• 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

How's this look for the replacement toggle switches?  Modeled them in 1:1, will scale it down in the slicer before printing.  Will create two files (one for on, one for off) so that I can position it best for printing.  I'll upload a photo of the completed print.

TC_Jag_ToggleSwitch.JPG

Added texture to the console.

Will try to print them this weekend, weather permitting.  (I have to do it on our back porch, as my wife hates the smell of the resin.)  Fortunately, I'm in Florida so at least - in general - cold weather is not an obstacle. 🙂

Jag Console w Texture.JPG

Edited by MikeH
updated image

Ok, the first pass at printing was *sorta* successful.  Some of the parts came out great, others failed to print properly (cigar lighter).  

Here's the console, pretty happy with this one overall, though it does need some tweaking.  The gauge holes need to be bigger and closer together.  I just have to test-fit to make sure the sizing is correct.  It matches the kit part on the horizontal, but is slightly larger in the vertical, not sure why as I did measure it . . .  I really like how the texture came out on it.

IMG_3580.jpg.64288d637467337ca7b2ba78c835d191.jpg

Toggle switches came out great as well, both on and off.  The seperated version printed OK, but it's pretty tiny, not sure it would be worth the effort to try and position them.

IMG_3581.jpg.dfb4b582e14504b8a6f2058a3102df62.jpg

The ignition switch and start button look ok, and the light switch needs some work.  I think I need to increase the size of the post.  What I have here may work, but it's not optimal.  I have another batch on the printer now, with a different kind of resin to see if that makes a difference.  

IMG_3583.jpg.74c536ad817d655508df720ac3f7f63e.jpgIMG_3584.jpg.db271d6f0c30ba3779691587b4a0951c.jpg

I also found a nice model of the Jaguar 'leaper,' which I think will look good on the base once the car is finished.

IMG_3585.jpg.39d3ca1446592a7ec3b95561b0628f07.jpg

• Like 1

The new resin made a small difference.  I resliced it with stronger supports, hopefully that will allow the cigar lighter to print.  I'll know in an hour.   😃

The key printed this time, and the light switch is looking OK (though I may have to scale it up a bit).  I'm doing a corrected center console plate as well, so that the 'glass' in the kit will fit into it better - and I also noticed that on the real car, the bottom of the center console has a slight angle to it, so added that as well.  I'll know if it works in about an hour.  😀  Also thought about punching out some clear acetate instead of using the kit 'glass' for the gauges . . .

The key printed good . . .

StartIgnKey.thumb.jpg.079d53d1bad73e9d6fe13ce42db8cac4.jpg

And the light switch is looking decent.  I'm doing another pass at this with stronger supports, though.

lightswitch2.thumb.jpg.e3ecfeb0c59b8bcd4992f481a04a9e42.jpg

• Like 1

This set came out great.  Increased the size of the supports.  Once I get the console dialed in I'll do a test assembly on it, then I can send out a set or two.IMG_3590.thumb.jpg.0c23b5768fd610a01879bb75e9ebdc65.jpg

Cigar lighter on top left, ignition switch, key, and start button on top right, light switch in the center.

• 4 weeks later...

It been slow progress because I have to do my printing on our back porch, and the weather hasn't been conducive lately.  I've had to move the printer into the garage until the weather warms up a bit, then will be back with some updated prints.  I did go into the models and strengthened the toggle switches a bit.  They looked really good, but were so delicate that it didn't take much to break them.  So now the underside, which shouldn't really be visible, has a thicker and hopefully stronger attachment point.

BTW, saw some photos of a Muira and noticed it uses the same toggles!

MuiraSwitches.PNG

I updated the toggles one more time, this time making the mounting post thicker, and building a 'box' around them so they're not accidentally broken.  Will print them, along with an updated dash panel, this weekend.  Hopefully this will be the final version, and i'll put one together and share it here, then if anyone wants a set we can work out shipping.

toggles_boxed.PNG