Cost

Michael

It's the cost of tooling; this is a metal hull crafted model; with working engine, lighting, over 4 feet long when completed-I'd imagine the tooling and engineering costs are over $700,000 and that's an upfront cost, before any sale generated.  If it is too costly for you , maybe the Eaglemoss wood model would suit your budget more. I'm willing to pay this cost to get something made of metal, and be museum quality--to have someone build the Trumpeter plastic kit with the upgrade would cost you at least 5,000-6,000 for a Master builder to make one for you. 

• 1 month later...

Probably also has something to do with notability. The Bismarck is not as widely known as the Titanic is. I mean, don't get me wrong, the Bismarck does look cool and everything. But, let's face it. If you were to go up to random people and ask them to name some of the greatest shipwrecks ever, you're going to hear the Titanic before you ever hear the Bismarck. So, from a business perspective, if they can charge more, they're going to make more. Plus the quality is going to be amazing on this one. I honestly can't wait until May for this model to get to me.