Type of Glue

Bill

I have completed a scale version of the titanic. Many of the pieces are very small and require tweezers to set on the ship. I tried many types of glue. None have worked the way I want. I need something that grabs the piece right away so that I can remove the tweezers quickly. No sagging!! I also would like something that you can apply in small quantities and will not show after drying. So far, the best that I have found is Testers in a tube. I squeeze a dollop onto a paper towel, then dab a bit of glue with a toothpick. I then put the glue on the various small pieces with the toothpick. This method is very time consuming and there is a great deal of waste. Can anyone recommend something for me.

Bill

Hey Bill,

Hope all is well.

What Titanic have you done? I am trying to figure out what materials you were working with? Trumpeter 1/200? I am going to being doing the Bismarck as well, first time doing a model like this. I plan on using my Tamiya quick setting cement. And for the the P/E parts, super glue. I too have looked at several different options:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C32ME6G?pd_rd_i=B00C32ME6G&pd_rd_w=uxWt1&pf_rd_p=ee186ce0-6bf7-4893-85b9-f3368b019e0f&pd_rd_wg=NFqdP&pf_rd_r=WB7P3RFTXT9NC861XJAT&pd_rd_r=68b4455c-27f3-49b3-b272-146c1b788c38

Bob Smith as been around for a long time:

https://bsi-inc.com/hobby/hobby.html

• 5 weeks later...

Hey Bill. I'm using a superglue called  FLEXY 5K CA  I ordered from a place in Detroit called Michigan toy solder. It's somewhat flexible is was intended for photo etch. I've used it on my bismark railings and other parts. I use a sewing needle with part of the eye filed off and dip it in the bottle. FLEXY grabs quick. Sometimes it's best to position the parts, then apply glue with a pin, its that fast. Good luck, gary

• 1 month later...

Super glue. No common plastic model cement is going to work. With super glue you can join the plastic and the metal 'photo edge' parts together. I recommend the gel type of super glue. Just be careful, you only get one chance with super glue. These are quality expert level models. If you don't have a considerable amount of experience make sure you use this forum to get answers for your questions before you start. There a lot of intricate pieces to these models and they aren't cheap by any means so be careful! Good luck.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/16/2021 at 7:38 PM, Bismark builder said:

Hey Bill. I'm using a superglue called  FLEXY 5K CA  I ordered from a place in Detroit called Michigan toy solder. It's somewhat flexible is was intended for photo etch. I've used it on my bismark railings and other parts. I use a sewing needle with part of the eye filed off and dip it in the bottle. FLEXY grabs quick. Sometimes it's best to position the parts, then apply glue with a pin, its that fast. Good luck, gary

This looks like the perfect glue. Are you using VMS FLEXY 5K CA to bond the plastic to plastic components as well? 

• 2 months later...