Pack 5 progress

I was very excited to receive pack 5 yesterday and began assembling through the steps. It was somewhat straight forward and relatively simple, though I did get a bit confused with a couple of the steps showing what appeared to be backwards photos. Namely when attaching the rear shocks, the photo appears to require the shock mounting under the rear axle, but it won't fit into the holes (which have locking lugs) and it would be upside down when mounted to the chasis. I worked it out, only to absent mindedly mount one of the sway bars backwards, requiring me to break out some small punches and undo a few steps to get to one of the pins, remove it and mount the sway bar properly. 

I took a few photos, hope they're helpful, or at least fun to look at. 

20240331_080505.jpg

20240331_090338.jpg

20240331_092156.jpg

20240331_100602.jpg

20240331_100945.jpg

20240331_103606.jpg

20240331_104649.jpg

20240331_105722.jpg

20240331_092206.jpg

• Like 1

On 3/31/2024 at 2:30 PM, Wtshark said:

I was very excited to receive pack 5 yesterday and began assembling through the steps. It was somewhat straight forward and relatively simple, though I did get a bit confused with a couple of the steps showing what appeared to be backwards photos. Namely when attaching the rear shocks, the photo appears to require the shock mounting under the rear axle, but it won't fit into the holes (which have locking lugs) and it would be upside down when mounted to the chasis. I worked it out, only to absent mindedly mount one of the sway bars backwards, requiring me to break out some small punches and undo a few steps to get to one of the pins, remove it and mount the sway bar properly. 

I took a few photos, hope they're helpful, or at least fun to look at. 

20240331_080505.jpg

20240331_090338.jpg

20240331_092156.jpg

20240331_100602.jpg

20240331_100945.jpg

20240331_103606.jpg

20240331_104649.jpg

20240331_105722.jpg

20240331_092206.jpg

Hi, I see that you're done with pack 5... Good job! I'm still waiting for mine... I'm curious, is the rear suspension functional? I was a bit surprised (and disappointed) that the front suspension became non functional after installing the rigid one piece steering rack/tie rods assembly. I have built cheaper kits that had working suspension...  I'm thinking of modifying it to correct this...🤔

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Jo.Mora said:

Hi, I see that you're done with pack 5... Good job! I'm still waiting for mine... I'm curious, is the rear suspension functional? I was a bit surprised (and disappointed) that the front suspension became non functional after installing the rigid one piece steering rack/tie rods assembly. I have built cheaper kits that had working suspension...  I'm thinking of modifying it to correct this...🤔

Hello, I am almost complete, have one more wheel and tyre assembly to go, thanks!  Much like the front suspension, the rear is spring loaded and floating on points, with the anti-sway and traction bars, under tension, it is very stiff, but I am hoping it will be a bit less stiff when all of the remaining metal body panels and interior pieces are installed. I don't know how much all of that will weigh, but the rear suspension will flex on the springs and the shocks can travel up. I too noticed how stiff everything is once it's compressed and attached, but figured by the time all of that weight is added, it may be a bit more flexible, or closer to functional? 

I hope this gives you some insights on pack 5 and your plan. 

• Thanks 2

Completed the 3rd wheel and tyre assembly this morning. The initial assembly (first 48 spokes) went very well and quickly, I decided to go ahead and do the front of the wheel assembly, which I don't usually do, requiring a break between. Following another's suggestion of using the tire as a support for the wheel worked great, as I began inserting the last set of spokes (B) they would not cross over. I looked and made sure I hadn't misaligned the A spokes, and no, they were spot on to the large gap, I finally figured out the upper holes on the wheel weren't completely drilled and were too constrictive to allow the B spoke to cross over the A. I used my pinch vise drill and cleaned out the holes, (I have no idea what size I used, it was just a hair bigger than the hole) but a quick spin around them, cutting a sliver from the diameter and the spokes went in perfectly fine. Not a huge deal. Finishing the wheel, I used the device suggested by Craig I think?, (though I altered my design a bit) and snugged down the screw and it held the spokes in beautifully.

The tyre was mounted and the final steps in this pack is to mount the Right/Rear tire onto the chassis and insert the wheel slicer. I'm not sure I like how far they protrude from the wheel and the instructions add "you'll be given a choice of slim mount later in the build", and I'm hoping that's just the magnetic spinner from the other previous wheels.  I only took a couple of photos, as the wheel assembly went so quickly, looks like Pack 6 has the final wheel assembly in it, (Yay) though as this point they are getting easier, or at least seem to be. 

20240403_101340.jpg

20240403_102638.jpg

• Like 1