How's the kit?

MikeH

For those who started with the Eaglemoss kit, how is the 300SL?  Fit, finish, detail, etc.?  It's always been one of my favorites, and now there are a number of kits here that I really want.  Trying to prioritize them.

I built the Eaglemoss kit in entirety. It is outstanding! I did not notice any paint issues, and the fit is great. The only complaint I might have, and I'm digging deep here, is that the props for the doors are a bit weak, and don't hold the doors fully open.

Best,

Mark

• 1 month later...

Hello,

Were at least the cruel spelling mistakes on the nameplates revised?

Typenschild300SL3.jpg.4b56fca8311f6ad90e965e040caa2ae0.jpg

I don't know who translated and prepared it, it's not possible anyway.

AKTIENGESBLLSCHAFT = AKTIENGESELLSCHAFT

UNTERTLRKHEIM = UNTERTÜRKHEIM

Fangsdk, ml Gunang ly, Fanr, ml Mzoadg ly, ml Alingey ly ???????????????

Emblem2.JPG.d90b102fbc56f8b227b162c89697b0ef.JPG

Laskierung: Kunsthsrz = Lackierung: Kunstharz

Oberfldche = Oberfläche

It also says that the paint job should be DB050. But DB050 is white and not silver...

And the lettering on the side is in a different font.

comp_IMG_5814.jpg.7d4e2f78d3476fa64f5ccce6b1358a22.jpg

Schriftzug-Mercedes-Benz-seitlich-auf-300-SL-Fluegeltuerer-W198.thumb.jpg.155549c7c8d8bd7b4662e9f727cccc83.jpg

I really hope the kit isn't 100% adopted by Eaglemoss.

• 5 weeks later...

As far as I know, it is the same kit as issued by Eaglemoss. (probably why the old Eaglemoss builders are able to resume their builds)

A quicker fix would be to create your own decals, or find someone who can make and print them up for you.  The local IPMS chapter is a good place to start.

best,

Mark

• Like 1

Such a mistake shouldn't happen with a model in this price range and should definitely be repaired.

There are enough things that you can upgrade yourself, but these obvious mistakes, NO, that's not possible.
I'll see when the parts arrive and then officially contact AGORA for repairs.

• 1 month later...

Hello. I am currently working on the Mercedes and so far it’s a fantastic kit. With that being said , a person could complain on all kits no matter how expensive or not. The Lamborghini is a hand full as the cobra was not. Myself,  being a modeler I like to change things a bit. My car will be black and the wheels I have stripped and polished. I look at these models as a great pallet and it’s a great starting point. If you want perfection look at amalgam. But the cost is really expensive. If you clean things up a bit on a agora kit, like sand seam lines and repaint, change color etc you will come out with a model that comes out pretty close to a amalgam kit but at a quarter of the cost. But some effort has to be applied. This is why if you look at an amalgam kit and agora kits, Agora kits are a fantastic bargain. And you get to put them together, your way if you wish. This is my opinion of course, but I do have a set of credentials. Certified bmw tech certified Shelby and f150 aluminum tech, corvette tech. On real cars. A special award winner at a IPMS national event. Second and third place also, So I have a little experience. 

On 8/21/2023 at 9:33 AM, keramh said:

Hello,

Were at least the cruel spelling mistakes on the nameplates revised?

Typenschild300SL3.jpg.4b56fca8311f6ad90e965e040caa2ae0.jpg

I don't know who translated and prepared it, it's not possible anyway.

AKTIENGESBLLSCHAFT = AKTIENGESELLSCHAFT

UNTERTLRKHEIM = UNTERTÜRKHEIM

Fangsdk, ml Gunang ly, Fanr, ml Mzoadg ly, ml Alingey ly ???????????????

Emblem2.JPG.d90b102fbc56f8b227b162c89697b0ef.JPG

Laskierung: Kunsthsrz = Lackierung: Kunstharz

Oberfldche = Oberfläche

It also says that the paint job should be DB050. But DB050 is white and not silver...

And the lettering on the side is in a different font.

comp_IMG_5814.jpg.7d4e2f78d3476fa64f5ccce6b1358a22.jpg

Schriftzug-Mercedes-Benz-seitlich-auf-300-SL-Fluegeltuerer-W198.thumb.jpg.155549c7c8d8bd7b4662e9f727cccc83.jpg

I really hope the kit isn't 100% adopted by Eaglemoss.

From what I can see, it pretty much is. It's not a new tooling at least. I'd originally looked at this from IXO as it's less expensive. Having researched it, the instruction manuals seems to match. From what I can see its a fraction less problematic than the Miura which, originally from Hachette, is identical. To be fair, I find ex Eaglemoss very good. 

Screenshot 2023-11-13 at 17.20.05.png

On 11/12/2023 at 4:55 PM, Brudda said:

Hello. I am currently working on the Mercedes and so far it’s a fantastic kit. With that being said , a person could complain on all kits no matter how expensive or not. The Lamborghini is a hand full as the cobra was not. Myself,  being a modeler I like to change things a bit. My car will be black and the wheels I have stripped and polished. I look at these models as a great pallet and it’s a great starting point. If you want perfection look at amalgam. But the cost is really expensive. If you clean things up a bit on a agora kit, like sand seam lines and repaint, change color etc you will come out with a model that comes out pretty close to a amalgam kit but at a quarter of the cost. But some effort has to be applied. This is why if you look at an amalgam kit and agora kits, Agora kits are a fantastic bargain. And you get to put them together, your way if you wish. This is my opinion of course, but I do have a set of credentials. Certified bmw tech certified Shelby and f150 aluminum tech, corvette tech. On real cars. A special award winner at a IPMS national event. Second and third place also, So I have a little experience. 

Wow I have just seen the amalgam kits.😲never heard of them until you mentioned in this post.Some of the models are like 20k!!!

Good job with the mercedes btw,it's looking like something special so far. With your credentials I'm not surprised that your ability to mod and make agora models even better is probalbly light work for you.keep it up, Awesome stuff Brudda.👍

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/13/2023 at 2:24 PM, Christopher Christou said:

Wow I have just seen the amalgam kits.😲never heard of them until you mentioned in this post.Some of the models are like 20k!!!

Good job with the mercedes btw,it's looking like something special so far. With your credentials I'm not surprised that your ability to mod and make agora models even better is probalbly light work for you.keep it up, Awesome stuff Brudda.👍

Thank you very much Christopher