DB5 Wire Wheels

Like others here on this forum, I also struggled with the pins of the wire wheels, especially when turning it over to align the inner rim spokes. So I got some 8mm OD nylon tube and found that it needed about two wraps of insulation tape. This then goes into the center hub. I inserted a 4mm bolt through the nylon tube and wheel with a couple of washers and nut. When tightened up it expands enough to keep all the pins in place whilst I turn the wheel over and align the spokes, then tighten down the inner wheel rim.

Please see attached photos. These were obviously taken after I'd put the tyre on after a soak in boiling hot water... good excuse to stop for a coffee.

I hope this helps some of you.

20240329_170938.jpg

20240329_171346.jpg

20240329_171357.jpg

• Like 2

That sir is brilliant! So, you've basically created an expansion fitting to tension the pins when you invert the wheel? 

I was having some trouble with the tissue wad with this last wheel, I just figured I'd not stuffed it well enough. 

I really appreciate you're telling us how to properly "get stuffed"....... with the alignment of the pins on our wheel. 😁

Thanks so much- I'm going to give this a whirl. 

On 3/29/2024 at 9:40 PM, Wtshark said:

That sir is brilliant! So, you've basically created an expansion fitting to tension the pins when you invert the wheel? 

I was having some trouble with the tissue wad with this last wheel, I just figured I'd not stuffed it well enough. 

I really appreciate you're telling us how to properly "get stuffed"....... with the alignment of the pins on our wheel. 😁

Thanks so much- I'm going to give this a whirl. 

Ha ha! No worries, never been thanked before for telling people to "get stuffed" 👍

• Haha 1

I built a variation of your brilliant idea the other day and used it to assemble the wheel in pack 4 this morning and it worked spectacularly. Kudos for coming up with that, and thanks for sharing it. Also, using the actual tyre as a rest as the A and B spokes are installed also worked great. It prevents the spokes from getting pressed back up, or tensioned and pinging every where when the tweezers snap one out, shaking the entire wheel. 

• Like 1