Bojazz1 Modified Alien Build Packs 1-2 - Painting the Skull and Personal Note

The Skull Paint Job

Before we start this process........ you may ask why is the skull clear? Rumor has it there is a light system that goes into the head and will give the dome a glow effect. I have never seen this in any Alien movie franchise.  SO, THE CHOICE WILL BE YOURS!

The skull was painted in a Tamiya SKY Color (XF-21) as a base color. I let it dry for a day or two.

Now the painstaking chore of repainting the black veins on the skull. I use a black paint marker  to do this. at some point it gave me a translucent vein effect. I then waited about another day for this process to dry.

To get rid of the harshness and boldness of the veins, I used the chalk pastel method of "softening" the edges. Hence the term I used earlier "the poor man's air brush". The black chalk pastel was grinded into a power form (grind the chalk pastel on sandpaper and use it as a pallet). I then took a chiseled flat brush and dabbed on the black pastel on the veins. As you do this you can see a softness coming about. I WOULD HIGHLY SUGGEST DOING THIS IN SECTIONS.

When you have the sections completed, use a flat-coat sealer (my demon of choice is Testor's Dull-Cote). When all the pastel work was done and the clear coat dried. I then applied a light wash of Tamiya Brown Panel Liner. Do this in sections. When applied, take a rag and lightly wipe the wash from a front (mouth) to back (skull base) motion. Do it slowly, this is not a race to finish. You have 10 months to complete this project.

After the brown tinting is done. Use a flat clear coat again to seal the project.   

When full dry you can assemble the upper teeth, gums and motor assembly as well as the other parts needed to complete Stage 2.

Personal Side Note:  Why did I not secure the right and left jaw plates???????? After to have the skull mounted and aligned. You may have to adjust or release the tension on the jaw screws

20230707_224430.jpg

20230707_224443.jpg

20230707_224458.jpg

20230707_224553.jpg

20230707_224559.jpg