Front Indicators

just thought i would share with everyone my modification for front indicators managed to drill a 1.2mm hole without slipping then just poked the little Orange 0803 SMD through the panel ready for fitting into indicators in pack 12

ps it looks like there's 2 wires but the black one is just a shadow

20221103_155753.jpg

• Like 1

Giddykippa, couldn't you have drilled a smaller hole between the 2 attachment holes for an invisible method.  Not tried myself, just a thought.

43 minutes ago, Taffy said:

Giddykippa, couldn't you have drilled a smaller hole between the 2 attachment holes for an invisible method.  Not tried myself, just a thought.

yeah that would have been ideal unfortunately there is a big thick metal frame right where i needed the wire to come out i had 2 choices either get it as close as i did or drill right through the metal framework as well i opted for the simpler option i figure when the indicator and bracket are mounted and ive touched some red gloss paint on the wires and hole you will hardly notice it plus the hole had to be 1.2mm for the SMD to fit through

7 hours ago, Taffy said:

I done the same Taffy it would of been a lot harder there is a thick piece of metal frame work to drill through so I only drilled through the outer wall once the job is completed its not noticeable 

Screenshot_20221104-215118_Gallery.jpg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Julian said:

I done the same Taffy it would of been a lot harder there is a thick piece of metal frame work to drill through so I only drilled through the outer wall once the job is completed its not noticeable 

Screenshot_20221104-215118_Gallery.jpg

looks brilliant julian hope mine looks as good

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Is the actual indicator lens hollow, or have you stuck the LED to the outside.

I'm thinking of following in both of your footsteps, however, the LED i have, came with quite a long tail cables, so I may us the indicator locating pin hole and simply rely upon the screw to hold it in place, I could then solder the extension wires via the front hinge grill.

3 minutes ago, Taffy said:

Is the actual indicator lens hollow, or have you stuck the LED to the outside.

I'm thinking of following in both of your footsteps, however, the LED i have, came with quite a long tail cables, so I may us the indicator locating pin hole and simply rely upon the screw to hold it in place, I could then solder the extension wires via the front hinge grill.

hi taffy my intention is to drill into the indicator lens my understanding is they're translucent orange plastic ive only just received my pack 12 this morning so haven't got that far but Julian has copied my idea he bought a set of indicators off ebay and he reckons it was easy enough to drill a small hole and  feed the leds inside giving a very authentic look to them i hope you manage to do it too and would love to see pics of the finished result 🙂

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Taffy said:

Would be good to see some pictures of Julians installation to get a better understanding of fixing to the indicator.

ive just finished all the side panels and fixing strips (jesus talk about mind numbing with all the screws lol ) i was going to do my indicators today but my carpal tunnel playing up so will do them tomorrow will do step by step pics and post tomorrow for you 🙂

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Taffy said:

Thanks, I only received my part yesterday afternoon, so looking forward to seeing NM screws in my sleep, Ha Ha

ok so here goes ive done my indicators to be absolutely honest they didn't quite work out as i hoped the indicator lens were way thinner then i was expecting meaning the 0803 smd was wider than the thinest point of the lens especially since they taper from body of bus towards the end it ended up with a channel grooved into the lens rather than a hole so im not exactly happy with the end result but it was the only way i could do it i used a series of very small drills starting with 0.8mm and finishing with  1.4mm i then glued the smd in place to kinda seal it so i could paint round it to try and blend it best i could (see pics ) ive uploaded a video to youtube to show the working result hope that helps taffy and please let me know how you go about your indicators (most likely be better than mine lol

20221121_111354.jpg

20221121_112618.jpg

20221121_112700.jpg

20221121_113801.jpg

20221121_114300.jpg

• Thanks 1