Shortening The Steering Rod

Firstly i want to thank Taffy for this modification i followed his brilliant idea but with my own kind of twist if you check out my topic in bus chat something missing you will see his post 

Anyway according to Taffy he got a piece of 5mm plastic rod 10mm shorter than the actual steering rod shaped it to fit and voila he could get full left steering so I thought I would give it a go But with brass instead of plastic ( I was worried plastic might not be strong enough to take the force of turning wheels ) ordered 150mm length of 5mm brass rod from ebay and when it arrived I started the task of shaping it to match the bend and flat ends of original bar my problem cam when I tried to put a thread in the end that connects to the steering gearbox I snapped my tap in end of brass rod I thought oh to he'll with it I will just leave it as is but then I remembered I had a spare rod from agora due to steering gearbox failing on original pack so I figured I would try shortening that instead as all I would have to do is drill another 3.3mm hole in new flat end where it joins the sliding steering rod from wheels I got my bench Grinder took off 10mm and flattened the end bent it a little to match the original angle drilled a new hole and then I lifted off the cab from chassis delicate with wires from cab but I did it fitted new rod re attached cab and it works steering now turns left and right as it should so I thought I would share my take on Taff'ys brilliant idea it took me literally 20mins pics below

20220418_131912.jpg

20220418_131956.jpg

13 minutes ago, Giddykippa said:

Firstly i want to thank Taffy for this modification i followed his brilliant idea but with my own kind of twist if you check out my topic in bus chat something missing you will see his post 

Anyway according to Taffy he got a piece of 5mm plastic rod 10mm shorter than the actual steering rod shaped it to fit and voila he could get full left steering so I thought I would give it a go But with brass instead of plastic ( I was worried plastic might not be strong enough to take the force of turning wheels ) ordered 150mm length of 5mm brass rod from ebay and when it arrived I started the task of shaping it to match the bend and flat ends of original bar my problem cam when I tried to put a thread in the end that connects to the steering gearbox I snapped my tap in end of brass rod I thought oh to he'll with it I will just leave it as is but then I remembered I had a spare rod from agora due to steering gearbox failing on original pack so I figured I would try shortening that instead as all I would have to do is drill another 3.3mm hole in new flat end where it joins the sliding steering rod from wheels I got my bench Grinder took off 10mm and flattened the end bent it a little to match the original angle drilled a new hole and then I lifted off the cab from chassis delicate with wires from cab but I did it fitted new rod re attached cab and it works steering now turns left and right as it should so I thought I would share my take on Taff'ys brilliant idea it took me literally 20mins pics below

20220418_131912.jpg

20220418_131956.jpg

Oh do mine lol 😆 

• Like 1

Good job, must admit, I never thought of shortening the original.  As I used plastic rod, then I simply use a spare HP screw which is for plastic, so no need to tap a thread.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Taffy said:

Good job, must admit, I never thought of shortening the original.  As I used plastic rod, then I simply use a spare HP screw which is for plastic, so no need to tap a thread.

i must admit it didn't occur to me till i wasted £3.50 on the brass rod it was very much an after thought but it worked out ok but all thanks to you for the idea 🙂