Pack 10 Insights

Wtshark

I wanted to share some things I noticed in my kit.

First off, whomever assembled the sun visors did a rough job of it. The glue was everywhere on the visor itself and on the chrome trim. There were massive sprue burrs on the bottom of both of them.

I was able to clean them up, removing most of the excess glue and burr(s), then polishing the plastic to look "acceptable". In theory, these won't ever really be seen as they will be folded in the up position inside the car. The first two photos are after the work and mounted in the headliner. 

Photos 3 and 4;

Next issue, (and you may not have these issues) the rear view mirror is mounted to what looks to me like a spoke from one of the wire wheels we're all so very familiar with now. It's a pressure fit (both into the mirror itself and the roof mount). I couldn't get mine to "seat" with any security, so I added a drop of super glue to the mirror "spoke" and pushed it into the mount. I also noticed, the mount itself (in the headliner) is just a snap fit. As I attempted to push the mirror into the hole, the mount popped off. I decided to put it back in and glue it in with Testor's thin cement, ensuring the mount will not fall off again. Once the mirror and headliner are installed into the car, it will be difficult to fix these issues without disassembly. I wanted to pass this along, FWIW.  

20240915_100309.jpg

20240915_100451.jpg

20240915_101331.jpg

20240915_101949.jpg

I'm going to add; 

For steps 83 & 84, before you actually mount the inside body panel assemblies, tap/thread the screw holes with a lubed (spare) DS02 screw, ensuring you can easily snug the screws tight once the assembly is properly seated. The rear screw is deep inside and unless you're using a longer screwdriver you'll never get it to snug down. 

image.thumb.png.d9d4c8bcf628642c15baea216e873245.png

Also, the paint on the doors is a pretty close match, but the doors are wobbly when opened. I have tightened down all screws, including the interior of the door plate that holds the hinge in place and it's still very loose when open. I also have some significant gaps on the doors. I may need to do some adjusting, but with a single screw mounting, it's not as though I can fine tune the alignment. 

20240917_104549.jpg

On 9/17/2024 at 7:59 PM, Wtshark said:

Also, the paint on the doors is a pretty close match, but the doors are wobbly when opened. I have tightened down all screws, including the interior of the door plate that holds the hinge in place and it's still very loose when open.

Hi Wtshark. Have you tried putting a washer under the head of the door fixing screw to aid pulling in the door hinge without risking the screw bottoming out and shearing?

I too had to strip the doors down to tighten up the hinge retention plate so that it was a lot more tighter than I thought it should be just to stop the door wobbling.