Bojazz1 Modified Alien Build Packs 1-2

Before we start, this is a really cool figure build up and it is open to artistic interpretation.

Throughout the Alien movie franchise, we have seen so many versions of the Alien. I the past when I used to build resin garage kits we stay with the Aliens movie color. The figure was black some dry brushed silver areas, with purple tones and then clear coated with a clear purple tint. As the franchise progressed, It was black, tan-brown, grey-purple, and other various color shades related to the "franchised movie" Alien titles.

This build in particular is based on the original 1979 Alien movie. The suit was a black rubber, with high-lights of grays, browns and dull silver high-lights (hence H.R. Geiger "bio-mechanical" alien).  Most of my build will be modified and will require some additional art supply costs. I will be happy to share some of these ideas with you. I am hoping you will enjoy my ideas and commentaries of the build. From time to time, I will supply a movie reference picture or two assist in my ideas.

Please note, there will be times I "will not" follow the instruction path. This will be due to paint modifications (there will be a few).

Before I start......A quick shout out to Agora Models for making this kit available in the US market, and the group forum administrators for giving me a chance for expressing my creativity.

Final note before starting...........READ ALL THE INSTRUCTIONS  AND REVIEW WHAT IS EXPECTED IN STEPS TO FOLLOW THROUGHLY. I am speaking from past builds of other model kits.

Here we go................................

I stared building the skull first. The parts required are Stage 1 Part 1-1, Stage 3 Part 3-1, Stage 5 Part 5-1 and 6pcs of 2.3 x 6mm screws. Assemble all 3 parts and screw the together. I painted the entire skull in flat bone color (ivory) paint. The paint will need to dry for a day so the next step can happen.

The bone color was washed and wiped with Tamiya Brown Panel Liner. This darkened the bone and added a little texture to the paint. If it is too dark, just dry bush the skull areas (with the bone) for desired effect. Next the veins, eye sockets and nose socket were painted in black.

I used a chalk pastel (I'll give instructions in the next paragraph) mix of black and brown to transition the veins, eye and nose sockets into the bone color, then clear coated with Testor's Dull-Cote.                      

Side lesson: Using chalk pastels. Grind the chalk pastel in a powder dust form. The take an angle tip flat brush and get some pastel pigment n the brush. Work it in the vein transition areas to soften the skull line. You will not see the difference until you use the Testor's Dull-Cote to seal it. What we did was create a "poor man's airbrush" finish.

Side lesson: Dry brushing technique. Dip the brush in paint and the wipe it on a paper towel. This way most of the paint will come off the brush leaving minor paint pigments. Then high-light the areas of the base paint. 

In Stage 2 and parts 2.5 and 2.6 (Retractable Jaw 1 and 2) you will need a fine black and brown Sharpie marker to define the gum line of the teeth.

THIS IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT AND AN MAJOR SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!! DO NOT glue parts 2.3 and 2.4 (left and right lateral lower jaw) in place. Do this after you fitted the complete lower jaw section into Head and Skull.  SEE PACK 2 STAGE 6 parts 1-3, STAGE 8 parts 1-3, and STAGE 12 parts 5-8.

JUST FOLLOW AND BUILD PACKS 1 AND 2 WITH MY NOTES........MORE TO FOLLOW AS THE BUILD CONTINUES

My next post will be version of the painted skull with a tutorial............

Stage 1-2 Pic 2.png

Stage 1-2 Pic 3.jpg

Stage1-2Pic1.jpg.a7d5298fe740a96eb19470744678e237.jpg

• Bojazz1 changed the title to Bojazz1 Modified Alien Build Packs 1-2
  • 1 month later...

I just received my first shipment and haven't even started working on it yet, but I agree that the light-up skull is my least favorite thing about the whole model, and I'm happy to lose it. However, I'm not looking to put quite as much effort into repainting and modding like you are -- just don't have the time or the skills. I was wondering, though, if there's an easier workaround for klutzes like me. Since the skull is translucent anyway for the lighting effects, what about painting the underside of it instead -- possibly in a slightly darker shade to compensate for the translucency? That way, there would be no need to repaint the veins or give it a protective coat. Once the actual cowl arrives, I'll be leaving that on anyway, since that's accurate to how it always appears in the first film. (It was only in the first sequel where they started to leave it off.) With the cowl on, would that be enough to improve the movie-accurate look? Obviously it won't match what you're doing, but might it be close enough? Thoughts?

• 1 month later...

sbjork

If you are going to keep the clear skull without the lights. Let us do something a little different in this case......... You could spray paint the inside of the skull a white, light grey color or bone color.

This way you will not have to repaint the veins or do recess shadowing. The pant will be on the inside under the black detail work.  This way it is quick and easy.  Remember this, once you spray the inside of the skull, that will be the color of the skull. 

This is an easy way to get a different desired effect.

I hope this helps with an idea............

Bojazz1

• Like 1