Ugly Rear Hub Covers Modified

So im not a fan of those big rear hub covers for the rear wheels and as Julian pointed out to me they were used mostly on the RT's and not the RM's ..( correct me if im wrong ) but either way i don't particularly like them but i also wasn't keen on leaving those rear hubs open showing the black screw and silver washer, i mulled over this for a while until i thought "i wonder if i could cut down those useless rear hub covers so they fit better"... unfortunately i don't have a lathe,  believe me a little hobby one is on my wish list,  so i improvised with a cordless drill, a vice and a zip tie,  throw in a 1/2 inch chisel and a block of wood and i had my makeshift lathe,  stuck the hub in the drill,  set it going and it worked,  i pared both hubs down in no time,  i finished them off with an emery board and cut off the redundant shaft with a junior hacksaw whilst still in the drill leaving about 6mm of shaft left pared off the 4 raised lugs with a scalpel and then coated in liquid chrome and left to dry

can't fit them yet as rear wheels still need to come off for fixing lower saloon but soon as i will add a pic showing how they look but i thought i would share my method with some pics

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

11.jpg

20220328_173809.jpg

20220328_173815.jpg

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Giddykippa said:

So im not a fan of those big rear hub covers for the rear wheels and as Julian pointed out to me they were used mostly on the RT's and not the RM's ..( correct me if im wrong ) but either way i don't particularly like them but i also wasn't keen on leaving those rear hubs open showing the black screw and silver washer, i mulled over this for a while until i thought "i wonder if i could cut down those useless rear hub covers so they fit better"... unfortunately i don't have a lathe,  believe me a little hobby one is on my wish list,  so i improvised with a cordless drill, a vice and a zip tie,  throw in a 1/2 inch chisel and a block of wood and i had my makeshift lathe,  stuck the hub in the drill,  set it going and it worked,  i pared both hubs down in no time,  i finished them off with an emery board and cut off the redundant shaft with a junior hacksaw whilst still in the drill leaving about 6mm of shaft left pared off the 4 raised lugs with a scalpel and then coated in liquid chrome and left to dry

can't fit them yet as rear wheels still need to come off for fixing lower saloon but soon as i will add a pic showing how they look but i thought i would share my method with some pics

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

11.jpg

Who's a clever boy good idea. Unfortunately I lost one of my hub caps. But I painted the crew and washer

20220328_171648.jpg

• Like 1