Routemaster Steering column Pck 4

Julian

Hi is anybody having problems with the Steering column the cog under the drivers cab the screw hole is threaded and not screwing in securely I had to remove the bar so it wouldn't put to much pressure on it. There is no way thus will be able to steer the wheels it will just snap off

1645375108434.jpg

16 hours ago, Julian said:

Hi is anybody having problems with the Steering column the cog under the drivers cab the screw hole is threaded and not screwing in securely I had to remove the bar so it wouldn't put to much pressure on it. There is no way thus will be able to steer the wheels it will just snap off

1645375108434.jpg

Hi Julian mine is ok tightened up just fine but i always dip my screw in 3 in 1 oil when screwing into metal ive found it helps screw if it needs to cut through paint i also oiled the small cog inside to help when turning steering if you have a faulty part contact sophie at agora and they will send replacement part out they are very good at customer service

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Triplevalve said:

Not had a problem with this but I have found there is quite a bit of "slop" on this part.

I have found that the paint has sometimes filled a screwhole here and there and so I have "cleared" it with a pin.

mine was quite tight hence putting some oil on cogs certainly helped it turn more freely

7 hours ago, Giddykippa said:

Hi Julian mine is ok tightened up just fine but i always dip my screw in 3 in 1 oil when screwing into metal ive found it helps screw if it needs to cut through paint i also oiled the small cog inside to help when turning steering if you have a faulty part contact sophie at agora and they will send replacement part out they are very good at customer service

Cheers mate,  i did oil it first but I think it was a dodgy part Agora are sending me a replacement so hopefully it will arrive before the next issues 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Julian said:

Cheers mate,  i did oil it first but I think it was a dodgy part Agora are sending me a replacement so hopefully it will arrive before the next issues 

No probs if i recall when i contacted them about a damaged part it took about 10 days till it arrived on my doorstep

23 hours ago, Julian said:

hi julian just decided to do a dry fit of cab floor to chassis and test steering and mine has gone sloppy like yours made sure cab floor was in correct place joined steering rods together and tried turning steering wheel and nothing wheel just turned but nothing happened to the front wheels now my linkage and steering gearbox gone all sloppy not sure if you tried dry fitting yours but the chassis crossmember in front of radiator blocks linkage from allowing steering to turn left something wrong somewhere me thinks

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/21/2022 at 5:01 PM, Julian said:

Hey Julian did you get your replacement steering set ? i got mine this morning spent a bit of time prepping the gearbox parts before adding a generous amount of lithium grease and screwing tightly together but to be honest im not that optimistic on being able to actually turn the wheels via the steering wheel the finished weight is 4.5k and thats a lot of weight on those front wheels for that rather flimsy gearbox to overcome not to mention left turns are blocked by that radiator cross bar... was just wondering what you thought and how you fared with your replacement parts ?

On 3/7/2022 at 2:38 PM, Giddykippa said:

Hey Julian did you get your replacement steering set ? i got mine this morning spent a bit of time prepping the gearbox parts before adding a generous amount of lithium grease and screwing tightly together but to be honest im not that optimistic on being able to actually turn the wheels via the steering wheel the finished weight is 4.5k and thats a lot of weight on those front wheels for that rather flimsy gearbox to overcome not to mention left turns are blocked by that radiator cross bar... was just wondering what you thought and how you fared with your replacement parts ?

Hi mate got a replacement on Saturday fixed it now but I don't think I will be turning the Steering wheel much once the bus is completed as you said it is far to heavy. Looking forward to the next set should be sent out the next few days 😀 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Julian said:

Hi mate got a replacement on Saturday fixed it now but I don't think I will be turning the Steering wheel much once the bus is completed as you said it is far to heavy. Looking forward to the next set should be sent out the next few days 😀 

yeah bit of an exaggeration to say wheels turn with steering wheel but then like you said not like it's going to be driven round like a toy

im just a lot ocd if someone says that something works i assume it will though be interesting to see if anyone else mentions it