Which glue?

peter.reynell

In his excellent videos building the W 196 R , Wayne, from Waynes World uses both oil and glue. I guess the oil is a light machine oil [ie sowing machine] but I wonder which glue  would be best to apply in small quantities to hold all those plastic tubes on the many nipples.

Note my jealousy, Some seem to have their kits, but I have no idea when mine will find  its way down under.

Hello,

If screws have to be turned in metal, I use Caramba drilling and cutting oil.  For me this works perfectly.

The screw in a magnetic Phillips slot and then dipped briefly in a small screw-top jar with the oil, ready for assembly.

Here is a picture of my Unimog construction

UNI069-5.jpg.6d5b4a4be8750b1f572ea955fb2db5e0.jpg

As glue I use normal superglue in different viscosities

Superglue.thumb.jpg.9f71dcfd96501277d200b6e628a18e47.jpg

• Administrator
7 hours ago, peter.reynell said:

In his excellent videos building the W 196 R , Wayne, from Waynes World uses both oil and glue. I guess the oil is a light machine oil [ie sowing machine] but I wonder which glue  would be best to apply in small quantities to hold all those plastic tubes on the many nipples.

Note my jealousy, Some seem to have their kits, but I have no idea when mine will find  its way down under.

Superglue works just fine.  You will need to swell some of the pipes, particularly the silver coloured ones, with a cocktail stick to get them over the pins.  Be warned, that supergluing these is permanent!  The plastic pins will break before you can pull the tube off again!

Incidentally, I use Vaseline to lubricate screw holes as that makes it much easier to drive the screws home.  However, there are lots of other products that work equally well, from soap to light machine oil, to cutting oil as Keramh mentioned.

• Like 2

On 3/28/2023 at 5:14 PM, keramh said:

Hello,

If screws have to be turned in metal, I use Caramba drilling and cutting oil.  For me this works perfectly.

The screw in a magnetic Phillips slot and then dipped briefly in a small screw-top jar with the oil, ready for assembly.

Here is a picture of my Unimog construction

UNI069-5.jpg.6d5b4a4be8750b1f572ea955fb2db5e0.jpg

As glue I use normal superglue in different viscosities

Superglue.thumb.jpg.9f71dcfd96501277d200b6e628a18e47.jpg

Thanks, I will search for suitable stuff here in Australia as those German brands may be difficult to find here.

• 3 weeks later...

Glue :  I like to use thin CA glue with hoses, especially joining the metal cable material into the metal tubes. I don't have a favorite brand. White "school glue" is good for joining clear parts or even temporary adhesion. I have had mixed results using an accelerator spray to reduce the cure time. I have had it damage the surface treatment on parts beyond reasonable repair. Alway test on scrap if you must use. There has been one occasion when I have used UV cured adhesive to bond a stubborn joint. No sticky fingers, strong and easy to control. It is not a replacement for CA or plastic adhesive that melts the materials to form the bond. Fast, strong, clean, controllable. 

Oil for Screws:  I have used old fashion 3 in ONE oil on all of my Agora models when installing screws into metal. I just put a few drops in a bottle cap and it lasts the whole evening. Easy to wipe off surfaces, clings to the screw etc. Highly recommend and very inexpensive. I have not experienced any damage to finishes, paint, or other surface treatments. Many people use as a cutting oil when machining metals. Silicone based oils can be very messy and hard to remove from surfaces and skin. Of course 3 in ONE is not water soluble. I use washes on many parts, especially engine and suspension. I wipe the surface to ensure there is no residual oil from fingers or 3 in ONE oil before applying wash.

Hope this helps, cheers 

IMG_20230415_193547.jpg