tail wheel and flap issue

Ajacobi

hi, I am having some issues with my tail wheel and flaps, my flaps are stiff and needs some force to move while my tail wheel doesn't want to retract (gear attached to the motor that moves the tail gear is moving but part connecting the tail gear to said gear doesn't and makes clicking noises) but when extending it works perfectly. any advice on how to fix would be amazing

On 10/7/2022 at 6:29 PM, Ajacobi said:

hi, I am having some issues with my tail wheel and flaps, my flaps are stiff and needs some force to move while my tail wheel doesn't want to retract (gear attached to the motor that moves the tail gear is moving but part connecting the tail gear to said gear doesn't and makes clicking noises) but when extending it works perfectly. any advice on how to fix would be amazing

The flaps are designed so they use a friction slide for the flaps to articulate opening and closing, see instructions. I had the same problem.  I shimmed the support beneath the gear so the gear teeth really connect to the pinion gear that slides forward and backwards--rasing and lowering the flaps.  Also, put a dab of grease in the slots where the flaps insert.  That should take care of your flap issue.  Mine, only has one flap lowering and retracting.  Its a four second feature, that you really can't see.  So, I'm not tearing my plane apart.  It will just to have to make no flap landings :) As far as the tail wheel, make sure that long steel rod is not binding.  It has to snake its way through several plastic protrusions that are designed to keep from catching on something.  Grease that wire at those friction spots.  The servo is not very powerful, and I find as the battery drains, mine does not lower either.  But once the base is fully charged, no problem.  Hope this helps

1 hour ago, A6M5 said:

The flaps are designed so they use a friction slide for the flaps to articulate opening and closing, see instructions. I had the same problem.  I shimmed the support beneath the gear so the gear teeth really connect to the pinion gear that slides forward and backwards--rasing and lowering the flaps.  Also, put a dab of grease in the slots where the flaps insert.  That should take care of your flap issue.  Mine, only has one flap lowering and retracting.  Its a four second feature, that you really can't see.  So, I'm not tearing my plane apart.  It will just to have to make no flap landings :) As far as the tail wheel, make sure that long steel rod is not binding.  It has to snake its way through several plastic protrusions that are designed to keep from catching on something.  Grease that wire at those friction spots.  The servo is not very powerful, and I find as the battery drains, mine does not lower either.  But once the base is fully charged, no problem.  Hope this helps

I found my problem with the tail gear, when I pushed the horn that connects the gear box to the tail gear in place after trying to loosen the tail gear to move without a ton of friction I accidentally pushed the gear down so the horn and gear were not fully attached, i shimmed the gear and forced it forward so i could tighten the 2 parts together so when the gear moved the horn moved. As for the flaps…can you send a screenshot of the fixes you mentioned? I’m aware of where the gears are since I can see them through the 2 slots at the bottom of the plane before I need to attach the add on plate. But I don’t know where to shim it. And lastly (not that important but just curious about this) I noticed my left landing gear indicator is not wanting to work, it’s extremely loose as if the gear is not actually engaged with the part. Easy fix or something i could ignore and not bother with?

4 hours ago, Ajacobi said:

I found my problem with the tail gear, when I pushed the horn that connects the gear box to the tail gear in place after trying to loosen the tail gear to move without a ton of friction I accidentally pushed the gear down so the horn and gear were not fully attached, i shimmed the gear and forced it forward so i could tighten the 2 parts together so when the gear moved the horn moved. As for the flaps…can you send a screenshot of the fixes you mentioned? I’m aware of where the gears are since I can see them through the 2 slots at the bottom of the plane before I need to attach the add on plate. But I don’t know where to shim it. And lastly (not that important but just curious about this) I noticed my left landing gear indicator is not wanting to work, it’s extremely loose as if the gear is not actually engaged with the part. Easy fix or something i could ignore and not bother with?

Notice at time mark 31:35-31:46 the operation of the flap motor, gear and pinion gear, plus the operation of the flap is clearly visible.  Grease the the part of the flap that fits into the oval slot.  Also, where the guard goes around the gear and pinion gear, part 057-02 and shim the bottom to insure a secure engagement. (Pack 8).  As for the landing gear indicator, use a pair of fine tweezers and gently pull up until it feels like it reengages.  The plastic is very playable, so be careful.