Wheel Hope and Suggestion

Franknstang

I am pleased to announce that my second wheel is going much smoother than the first. Painting the wide slots carefully with flat black paint is a must for builders that use headlamps. It breaks the blinding reflection on the chrome area. I do love the wheels when finished.

It would prove helpful if the supplier could provide  a spare spoke in each bag as they do screws. They spokes can be easy to lose especially when the builder has pets invading his work area.

• 1 month later...

I'm not sure exactly what you mean with the black paint... can we see a pic detailing your tip? I also found blinding reflections that slowed me down during the assembly.

Spare spokes would very much be appreciated as I too dropped one... was lucky to retrieve it! Phew!

At pack-4, stages 27 and 28 have been mislabeled left and right... is it just my pack or are they all like this? Builder beware!

I have finished the model and have no pics of the paint. I painted just the face of the raised ring where the wide and narrow sections are divided by the slots that the 45 degree bent spokes fit in . That part is covered later and does no show when the rim is complete. 

The left and right are mixed up in the instructions however all the rims are identical when finished. I put the less perfect rim I built in the trunk as a spare. 

I have made spokes from stainless steel piano wire of same diameter when necessary. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, this helped out to see where the spokes are better. I had to take 2 wheels apart as I made an error aligning the second set of outer spokes... had to cross them correctly. Slightly damaged the rim on one so it will go into the trunk also.

• 2 weeks later...