Pre-production engine photos

General Lou

I have started building the Cobra's FE427 engine, using pre-production samples to check it all fits together ok before the main production run.

Here are a couple of photos of where i'm up to, still got more to do though!

An interesting part was to check that the spark plug firing sequence is in the correct order. I managed to get hold of the firing sequence online and i am happy to report that all the leads are connected to the distributer in the correct order. I also had 8 individual spark plugs to fit!

You will also have fun fitting the air filter grille as that comes as a single flat piece which needs to be wrapped around the inner part of the top and bottom of the air filter.

IMG_1206.thumb.JPG.3c55742681c6f1d67b027bb1eeb0d7b6.JPGIMG_1207.thumb.JPG.ce196487b1b15dff54e8d532ddd5e0cf.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Looking good as a pre-production 🙂.  Hopefully for authenticity the screw heads can be 'lost' and the alternator fan 'detailed-up' on the full-production versions 

The engine looks quite good, I would not be concerned about the screws on the first side as it will be hidden by the pressure tank and plumbing.  Hopefully the body paint quality will be smooth and not have an orange peel look; that would be a deal breaker for me. 

8 hours ago, Eagle36 said:

The engine looks quite good, I would not be concerned about the screws on the first side as it will be hidden by the pressure tank and plumbing.  Hopefully the body paint quality will be smooth and not have an orange peel look; that would be a deal breaker for me. 

i assume the pre prod engine is plastic if the released model engine is not metal i'll be asking forra refund,i aint paying £1200 for a airfix kit!

Mr. Rotten is dreaming to think the entire assembly is cast of metal; Pocher never did it, nor has anyone else. The cost of tooling for metal casting, due the high temperatures would make this Cobra at least twice as expensive. 

4 hours ago, Eagle36 said:

Mr. Rotten is dreaming to think the entire assembly is cast of metal; Pocher never did it, nor has anyone else. The cost of tooling for metal casting, due the high temperatures would make this Cobra at least twice as expensive. 

were did i say the entire assembly had to be metal i'm expecting the crank cases at least to be metal like other models.