Rear Stairwells Light

Giddykippa

so im well into pack 9 but im kinda flumoxed by the rear stairwell light that sits alongside the offside rear seat ? does it just leave the wire exposed ? or is there some sort of cover in pack 10 as it's going to look stupid leaving this unsightly wire exposed and my next question is how is this going to connect to the interior wiring loom ?

im at a loss

Capture.JPG

Hi Giddykippa

I have threaded the wire along the grove in the panel to behind the seat.  Looking at on-line videos for the Hatchett model there is no cover.  I was going to make one out of plasti-card, and either paint it maroon or silver, and then stick it using double-sided tape.

I believe another modeller mention in this forum about not using the light and simply filling the hole, and painting the panel.

t1450790889_StairLight.thumb.jpg.f4c4b259ac2436964bb2acda72b86d0c.jpg

As an aside, I suggest not fitting the upper deck rear panel 81A until you fit handrail 84I otherwise you will not be able to access the screw for the handrail.

This is as far as I have got to.

4 hours ago, Taffy said:

Hi Giddykippa

I have threaded the wire along the grove in the panel to behind the seat.  Looking at on-line videos for the Hatchett model there is no cover.  I was going to make one out of plasti-card, and either paint it maroon or silver, and then stick it using double-sided tape.

I believe another modeller mention in this forum about not using the light and simply filling the hole, and painting the panel.

t1450790889_StairLight.thumb.jpg.f4c4b259ac2436964bb2acda72b86d0c.jpg

As an aside, I suggest not fitting the upper deck rear panel 81A until you fit handrail 84I otherwise you will not be able to access the screw for the handrail.

This is as far as I have got to.

hi taffy it seems bizarre to leave that wire exposed when all the others are hidden i was going to do same as you and tuck it alongside seat and paint it with humbrol 100 red brown as that looks a good match problem is it's not yet obvious where it connects to est of saloon wiring

i made same mistake lol had to remove that rear panel to get hand rail fixed but appreciate the tip 😄

28 minutes ago, Taffy said:

It attaches to the upper saloon lighting, there is a spare connector.

yeah i have three N labeled wires with plugs 2 off the saloon roof and that rear stairwell led but my query is where that led wire is going to run to connect with saloon roof ? as its inside the upper saloon  hows it going to connect cos the ceiling ones run inside the frame work there doesn't appear to be a way out for that single led yet unless that will be in pack 10 ?

That me who's loosing the light. I believe LTE modded them out during body overhauls in the 1960's anyway (Same as the offside rear route number box.) I think it could made to look a lot better by using a smd LED and remodelling a lens cover and the panel.

Also Humbol No 73 WINE appears to be a good paint match.

14 minutes ago, Triplevalve said:

That me who's loosing the light. I believe LTE modded them out during body overhauls in the 1960's anyway (Same as the offside rear route number box.) I think it could made to look a lot better by using a smd LED and remodelling a lens cover and the panel.

Also Humbol No 73 WINE appears to be a good paint match.

ah thanks for the paint info tripple ive just posted some of my other mods in modification room

• 4 weeks later...

I now made a small cover to conceal the stairwell light.

I made a small 'L' shaped piece out of some 2mm platicard I already had, then used an old Tesco's Clucard  (0.8mm) piece stuck to the top.  This was then painted with Revell 331 'Purple' Red'.

It actually stays in place tucked into the seat gaps, however, I will apply some double-sided tape for security.

20220813_151222.jpg

20220910_120331.jpg

20220910_120338.jpg