Pack 11 Gearbox Instruction Issue--Pay Attention to Camshaft Orientation-OR ELSE!

A6M5

Hello fellow A6M5 builders,

I seemed to have uncovered an issue with Agora's instructions for Pack 11 regarding the Lifting Device Gear Box.  Apparently, the camshaft MUST be oriented a certain way in order for you to install it, see pictures below.  In order to keep the lifters even before using, they must be of the same height.

Picture 1: Camshaft orientation per the instructions.  The instructions makes no reference to being oriented per a certain way as later on this will matter a lot.

Picture 2 & 3:  Both gear boxes with reoriented camshafts.

Picture 4:  Why it matters:  Pack 11, Stage 85, Step 3.  The camshaft placed into the groove on slider 065-02.  If the cam is oriented any other way, It could result in a crooked flying Zero, one wing higher than the other.  If the camshaft is entered into the groove positioned at a different angle that means, the lifter may be higher than the other, i.e. when the plane takes off it will be at an angle, and may also land that way.  It may also not be able to achieve level flight.  That should have been CLEARLY spelled out in the directions long before you get to Pack 11.  Fortunately, the fix is easy at this stage.  Carefully open the gearbox, remove the motor, and position the camshaft as shown.  Replace the motor and snap the case closed.

Cheers,

Agora A6M5 Product Engineer and Problem Finder/Solver, and Zero 8-13 Historian (probationary)

Charles Schlom

thumbnail_IMG_6562.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6560.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6559.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6561.jpg

9 hours ago, john hunter said:

You could power up the motor and set them as you want also. I test both motors before installing them. Very well noticed though with regard to the instructions.

Good thinking!  But I tried that and couldn't get them to operate on the electrical test set.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrator

There are limit switches (part 083-01) which should sort out the alignment between the two lifters, so any misalignment will be resolved as soon as the model goes through a landing cycle.  At a guess, I'd expect that the lifters are all retracted on power up.  However, I will test it carefully when I get to that stage and will post info about any potential problems and solutions on the official build.  Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/17/2022 at 5:05 AM, Mark, The Master Modeller said:

There are limit switches (part 083-01) which should sort out the alignment between the two lifters, so any misalignment will be resolved as soon as the model goes through a landing cycle.  At a guess, I'd expect that the lifters are all retracted on power up.  However, I will test it carefully when I get to that stage and will post info about any potential problems and solutions on the official build.  Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Hi Mark, you may want to visit A6M Modelers, WATCH OUT FOR THIS BIG MISTAKE, AND HOW TO FIX!  

I have seen several modelers who have had the same problem, both Wayne on Youtube and John also on Youtube

• Administrator
15 hours ago, A6M5 said:

Hi Mark, you may want to visit A6M Modelers, WATCH OUT FOR THIS BIG MISTAKE, AND HOW TO FIX!  

I have seen several modelers who have had the same problem, both Wayne on Youtube and John also on Youtube

I see that John mentions his gap closed up when he put the screws in the tail.  (Time stamp about 6:10)  

I'll keep an eye out for this issue when I get to that stage. and let people know what the pitfalls are.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Mark, The Master Modeller said:

I see that John mentions his gap closed up when he put the screws in the tail.  (Time stamp about 6:10)  

I'll keep an eye out for this issue when I get to that stage. and let people know what the pitfalls are.

Hi Mark

At 13.15 and 13:22 the seam line is still visible, although John said it was closed up.  So I'm not sure.  On Wayne's video you can clearly see the same gap @ 8:58.  I wrote to the Agora guys who are checking with the engineers in Japan.  I think when the die is cut from the steel sheets, they are not changing the cutter blades frequently and as the press lifts up, the cut sheet is sticking to the die cutter and hence bending the frame.  If you look at John's Vertical tail, its bent to the left at 14:44.  If you have contact with the management at Agora, can you see where they are with this?  I was supposed to have a follow up solution, weeks ago.  Or if they were going to incorporate my fix as part of the instructions.

Thanks

Chuck

• Administrator

Hi Chuck,

I had  look at the parts, but I can't work out what's happening until I actually assemble them, and I'm not up to that stage yet.  I'll ask Agora if they have a reply from the Japanese engineers yet.  I'll see if I get the same problem as you have when I get there and highlight any potential pitfalls.

• Thanks 1

20220605_205600.thumb.jpg.9c1a380f512f26e0b81763932272ac62.jpgHi, I have added some pics of the fuselage and vertical stabiliser. The gap is  actually green paint as you can see there is no gap further up the fuselage. The stabiliser looks fine and central, in the video the weight of the plane makes it lean to the left so I have balanced it in the picture. 

20220605_205626.jpg

20220605_205804.jpg

20220605_205823.jpg

• Thanks 2

On 6/5/2022 at 3:10 PM, john hunter said:

20220605_205600.thumb.jpg.9c1a380f512f26e0b81763932272ac62.jpgHi, I have added some pics of the fuselage and vertical stabiliser. The gap is  actually green paint as you can see there is no gap further up the fuselage. The stabiliser looks fine and central, in the video the weight of the plane makes it lean to the left so I have balanced it in the picture. 

20220605_205626.jpg

20220605_205804.jpg

20220605_205823.jpg

Hi John!

Looks great, especially the vertical stab., as you have the plane balanced out, it looks plumb and 90 degrees to the fuselage..  Unfortunately mine is still bent after following your technique.  I see the green line you are talking about much more clearly.  I suppose, if you wanted too, you could thin some Tamiya Acrylic Neutral Grey and some Tamiya I J Grey (X-12) and gently dab the green paint and it may disappear altogether.  Used it on mine with good results.  Just a matter of taste I suppose.  I'm watching your video very carefully, thanks.

• Like 1