A6M Modelers, WATCH OUT FOR THIS BIG MISTAKE, AND HOW TO FIX!

A6M5

Hi everyone.  I noticed that the steel frame that makes up the spine and attachment points for the electronics has a manufacturer's defect, it's bent!  This is Part 055-03 that comes in Stage 55, Pack 7.  Unfortunately, its slight, and can't be readily noticed until you are far too into the build to do anything about it.  However the results are an ugly seam down the bottom of the fuselage.  I came up with a solution that should work.  Take some Evergreen Scale Model Plastic Rod, sand ONE side until its flat, and paint using a mix of Tamiya Neutral Grey and some Tamiya I J Grey (X-12).  When dry, using Super Glue or White glue, gently place in between the seam.  Let dry, and your unsightly seem will be gone.  

Picture 1:  Bent part 055-03.  Picture 2:  Due to the bent frame, the result will prevent the fuselage halves from meeting and causing an unsightly seam.  Picture 3:  Placing Sprue rod after sanding and fitting into the seam.  (Mine isn't glued in yet, so I can remove it and paint tomorrow.)  Picture 4: What to get at most Hobby Stores.

This is a nasty surprise, and at this stage, there is absolutely nothing you can do, but try my fix if this happens to you.  Drop me note at CMSCHLOM@hotmail.com or here on the forum if you have any problems.

V/r,

Chuck

thumbnail_IMG_6446 (2).jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6444 (2).jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6451 (2).jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6452.jpg

Ok, so after placing the pre painted rod in that seam, this is what your Zero can look like rather than a big ugly seam.  (Also Use Tamiya Neutral grey and mix it with Tamiya I J Grey X-12 till you get a color match)  Keep in mind this is not going to win any IPMS contests, as the fuselage halves has one seam taller than the other! 

Ughhh!  But it's better than nothing.  The sides don't look too bad though.  But for a $1,600 kit, this is unacceptably bad quality.  My biggest worry is if the landing gear will cycle up and down as the switch system that engages it looks quite problematic.  Still waiting for a response from Agora on that one after 6 months.  Here is the problem:  The landing gear "arm" 028-01 that is supposed to press the landing gear limiting switch 033-03, was made too small and fell short of both switches. So I added plastic "extenders" so that it can depress each switch.  Be Sure to check this.  Sometimes the landing gear "arm" doesn't depress the switch even though its the correct length.  Part 041-01 has the same problem, so be sure to check it.

Pic 1.  before

Pic 2-4  repaired.

thumbnail_IMG_6444 (2).jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6454 (2).jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6455 (2).jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6456 (2).jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/20/2022 at 12:40 AM, Ajacobi said:

I actually didn't notice that issue...true I did have some spacing when the ribs were on by themselves but after attaching both halves of the skin (aside from when I accidently pinched the power wire) I didn't have that problem

Unfortunately, I did and so did Wayne on his video.  The steel frame has a slight bend to it due to the way it came off the die punch.  Agora is checking with their engineers in Japan.  So they say.  

If you can, can you upload a photo of the fuselage bottom?  I would like to see what "right" looks like.

Thanks!