Cab Floor and side panel

i didn't much care for the brown colour of the cab floor and side panel all the RMs i drove were all painted black (including the real RM857 that this is modeled after if you search on google there are many detailed pics) not sure if the original buses made in the 60s rolled out of the park royal factory painted brown but i prefer black so i painted mine its not perfect im a newbie to model building but im happy with it also made a solid wooden base and fixed those plastic chassis supports in place so i have a secure base to pick the model up and move it without the risk of damaging it

3.jpg

4.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

31 minutes ago, Hilux5972 said:

That’s a lot of weight to be putting on those support bars. They won’t bend under that weight?

added pic showing tabs arrowed that are for supporting chassis ... on a side note i noticed when I joined together those 2 big chassis pieces secured underneath with 4 screws and a plastic strip on top with 2 screws that even when tightened the chassis had a fair bit of slack and it easily flexed so I got some araldite glue and figured where all the places where the two parts met and applied the glue re screwed it together and clamped with 4 mini g clamps till glue set and it was solid absolutely no movement along the joint 

Only problem was when it came to fitting those brackets for side bars two holes for tab and screw were right on that joint and I had inadvertently got glue in the holes luckily I have a handy little pencil drill and just cleared the holes out and fitted brackets but it made me realise I needed to rake care when building as you never know what goes where till further down the build

20220217_165444.jpg

11 hours ago, Giddykippa said:

i didn't much care for the brown colour of the cab floor and side panel all the RMs i drove were all painted black (including the real RM857 that this is modeled after if you search on google there are many detailed pics) not sure if the original buses made in the 60s rolled out of the park royal factory painted brown but i prefer black so i painted mine its not perfect im a newbie to model building but im happy with it also made a solid wooden base and fixed those plastic chassis supports in place so i have a secure base to pick the model up and move it without the risk of damaging it

3.jpg

4.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

Well done looks good. I see you paint the radio footswitch aswell looks more realistic 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Giddykippa said:

added pic showing tabs arrowed that are for supporting chassis ... on a side note i noticed when I joined together those 2 big chassis pieces secured underneath with 4 screws and a plastic strip on top with 2 screws that even when tightened the chassis had a fair bit of slack and it easily flexed so I got some araldite glue and figured where all the places where the two parts met and applied the glue re screwed it together and clamped with 4 mini g clamps till glue set and it was solid absolutely no movement along the joint 

Only problem was when it came to fitting those brackets for side bars two holes for tab and screw were right on that joint and I had inadvertently got glue in the holes luckily I have a handy little pencil drill and just cleared the holes out and fitted brackets but it made me realise I needed to rake care when building as you never know what goes where till further down the build

20220217_165444.jpg

Aah i see. Thanks for that. Hadn’t seen them in images before 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Julian said:

Well done looks good. I see you paint the radio footswitch aswell looks more realistic 

thats the engine stop according to the manual but with floor being black i thought i would highlight it

Edited by Giddykippa
misspelled

On 2/17/2022 at 11:45 AM, Giddykippa said:

3.jpg

4.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

Hi mate just done my cab too thanks

you did a neater job round those warning decals than i did i definitely think it looks better than brown

have you tried doing a test fit of the cab floor to the cab shell i have and not not sure if im doing something wrong but mine is incredibly tight to the extent where it's like something is miss sized i really struggled to get it anywhere near a proper fit

3 hours ago, Giddykippa said:

you did a neater job round those warning decals than i did i definitely think it looks better than brown

have you tried doing a test fit of the cab floor to the cab shell i have and not not sure if im doing something wrong but mine is incredibly tight to the extent where it's like something is miss sized i really struggled to get it anywhere near a proper fit

100% better thanks for giving me the boost to paint mine once I saw yours I thought that looks much better painted black. It was a tight fit but you have to screw the cab floor to the cab itself then it will attach to the chassis easier but you can't attach it until next issue as there is a bar to attach first........I might even paint the floor of the saloon a darker brown too definitely painting the flywheel cover black though 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Julian said:

100% better thanks for giving me the boost to paint mine once I saw yours I thought that looks much better painted black. It was a tight fit but you have to screw the cab floor to the cab itself then it will attach to the chassis easier but you can't attach it until next issue as there is a bar to attach first........I might even paint the floor of the saloon a darker brown too definitely painting the flywheel cover black though 

re saloon floors and rear access i definitely agree the plastic is too orange nothing like the wood slats in real RMs im going to get some burnt umber acrylic paint and try and do a weathered wash on floors

please keep posting your pics and i will do too

ps thanks for tip re fitting cab floor

On 2/20/2022 at 2:58 AM, Julian said:

definitely painting the flywheel cover black though 

I’m curious as to why? Almost all of the images I’ve seen online show the internal flywheel cover to be a similar colour to the wheel hubs. Or are you meaning underneath the bus?

2 hours ago, Giddykippa said:

you are correct attached actual picture inside WLT857

014.jpg

Some were painted burgundy while some painted black the actual lumb part was silver on most buses due to passengers placing the feet on it causing the paint to wear. I'm painting mine silver with black surround 

36 minutes ago, Julian said:

Some were painted burgundy while some painted black the actual lumb part was silver on most buses due to passengers placing the feet on it causing the paint to wear. I'm painting mine silver with black surround 

at the end of the day with so many buses in so many depots im guessing they got painted with whatever was handy

"Routemaster 4 Hire" on youtube has a number of useful videos showing both interior and underframe details.
Also on youtube there is "ROUTEMASTER RM597 Cab Restoration" showing a slideshow of a cab repaint.
SO it looks like a chocolate brown and black colour scheme is the way to go.
And without hijacking the thread this is how far I have gone with the cab.

IMG_1004.JPG

i watch the routemaster for hire vids and had already painted mine black before that vid came out it's obvious now that originally the cab floor and side panel were brown however the model looks to plasticky and when i drove the RMs back in the late 80's they had all been painted black including the real RM857 on which this model is based so im happy with mine

ps i like the handbrake mod did you 3d print that ?