Zero fighter headed for my table?

Tom

I am at the point where I believe I am ready to order the Zero fighter. I've watched all the videos, Waynes videos and gone through the directions that don't have videos yet. The Terminator is finished and pack 12 of the Bismark is on it's way. I was hoping to get some recommendations from builders that are working on the Zero. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. We are talking about a lot of money here.  Thank you in advance for your replies.

It sounds like you’re already a bit familiar with what you get in some of these part works kits, and if you’re happy with what you’ve already seen, then I’d say go for it.  

I’m up to month 7, and have only built the engine, and barely started the cockpit.  So far I’m pleased.  Mind you, I personally enjoy some room for improvement and modification, so a little flashing and some minor parts worth replacing doesn’t bother me.  So far, I’ve primarily relied upon “weathering” the stock kit parts, though in a couple cases I’ve gone for a full sand down and repaint.  The engine and cockpit will definitely be the primary focal points of my extra details, and I honestly did very little to the engine.  I wish I knew how well the body panels are going to look and fit together, but if the engine cowling is any example to go by, it should be fine.  

It is a lot of money, but you’re into this sort of thing, then I’d say this is a quality kit worth building, at least so far.  

Thank you Bfam4t6.

It 'sounds' like you are far more into the detail aspect of these builds than I am. So far I am very happy with the way these kits come together. I have asked Sophie to work up a price for the first 6 packs of the Zero taking any and all discounts into consideration. I think I was sold on the Zero after watching Wayne (World of Wayne) build the engine. The improvements made to small electric motors over the past few years has made a lot of these builds possible including the Zero I believe.

Good luck with the rest of your build. I am looking forward to seeing it on the forum when it is finished. Thanks again for responding

I would recommend it.  It's a bit fiddly, but the engine is just a jewel in itself.  The only issue is with the landing gear and a ton of wiring in a small area.  YOU MUST watch the videos and then read the instructions.  I print mine off so they are handy.  Wayne does a good job, but he's made some mistakes on the engine like installing the beautiful ignition harness upside down!  I'm on Pack 9, and enjoying the kit!  I detailed the cockpit which is very realistic by dry brushing various details to make them pop.  Also got a 1/16 Tamiya figure that I will put in the cockpit.  I'm choosing to do the kit as delivered, as it depicts an actual Zero  stationed on Saipan for Kamikaze and shipping attacks in 1944.

Here are some of my build pics:

030.JPG

033.JPG

037.JPG

038.JPG

039.JPG

044.JPG

181.JPG

180.JPG

189.JPG

299.JPG

300.JPG