Wheels and Step modifications

Love this routemaster build looking forward to completing it. My friend completed it a few months ago I was very impressed but there are a few thing I'm not happy about. I have been driving buses in London for 30 years now and I have had the privilege of driving the RM many years ago but as a perfectionist I have made a few minor adjustments. The first thing I was disappointed with was the click plates on the steps  the screws are so big (see pics) it really let the build down. So what I did was I glued the kick plates to each step and covered the screw holes with tiny pins. Also the wheels looked unrealistic with the red paint RM wheels were mostly burgundy in colour (see picture of RM 857) so I sprayed them I think it mad a big difference  Also the RM rarely had the hub caps on the back wheels it was the RT which had covered wheels. I'm also thing of spraying the platform brown to make it look more realistic but I don't want to customise it to much. Love to hear your views

Screenshot_20220110-185242_Yahoo Mail.jpg

Screenshot_20220110-185816_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220110-183441_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220110-184708_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220110-184822_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220110-184613_Gallery.jpg

15311182676_0e054398cb_b.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

hey i think your mods look great especially the kick plates on the stairs i saw another modeller building the RMT use hornby track pins as imitation rivets he also did the same on the seat backs and on exterior panels he filled in the centre of screws and painted them so they didn't look to obvious on the roof the original buses had 5 raised strips across the width he covered the joins with a strip of plastic sprayed red to match the roof and cover the joins in the metal sections it's only a short vid but interesting link below

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Giddykippa said:

hey i think your mods look great especially the kick plates on the stairs i saw another modeller building the RMT use hornby track pins as imitation rivets he also did the same on the seat backs and on exterior panels he filled in the centre of screws and painted them so they didn't look to obvious on the roof the original buses had 5 raised strips across the width he covered the joins with a strip of plastic sprayed red to match the roof and cover the joins in the metal sections it's only a short vid but interesting link below

I also painted the front wheel trims silver but I didn't like them but after seeing this video I wished I kept the silver now the look great on the finished bus. So glad I painted the wheels burgundy. Thanks for sharing 

• Like 1