Cobra Good Year tire

laverdj

Recently started the Cobra after purchasing the full kit a few months ago. In pack 2, after following instructions on how to install the tire including soaking it in warm water, much to my surprise, the white letters in "good" washed away after installing the tire. See picture. 

Anybody else found  the same? I am afraid to do the other ones for fear of the same. I guess I will have to request a replacement2017012618_GoodYearCobra.thumb.jpg.74aa471fb134f5bb354bf6de37608523.jpg

Yep, this happened to me as well. Fortunately it occurred only on one side so I placed the washed-out side inboard. In a later pack another tire is supplied and both sides stayed intact. Perhaps there was a quality issue in the earlier packs? I was contemplating whether it's worth getting a replacement but given our shared experience I believe I will. Besides, we're paying for an elite model.

Edited by ThomasJW
clarification

laverdj,

Try using a hair dryer - NOT a heat gun. I've always used one and it always works. Just take your time and maybe be careful around the lettering. 

If they will send you replacements you will now have a couple of test pieces to practice with the hair dryer. If you don't have one get a cheap one.

I had the same problem on my first tire experience. The reason the lettering came off is that when you drag the wheel across the tire while inserting it, it scrapes the lettering off. Just be careful to position the wheel so it doesn't contact the lettering. I plan to remove the lettering on the inside tire surfaces as the real street tires only had lettering on one side.

• 3 weeks later...

I just assembled my first wheel and tire.  I was concerned about the white letters after reading this thread, so here is how I approached it.  First, I heated the water to just shy of boiling.  I transfered the water to a different pan and placed the tire in the water.  I did this to prevent the tire from contacting the hot pan.  At two minutes, I removed the tire and with the lettering facing away from me, I worked the wheel into the tire while avoiding contact with the letters.  It worked perfectly with no damage to the letters.spacer.png