Joel's Bus Build

Hi, thanks for checking in! I'm not going to burden you with a full build log of my RouteMaster Bus , more just to highlight some of the modifications I make along the way as I attempt to make things a bit more believable. I am in no way an expert on this bus or a rivet counter but I have a certain level of realism I am aiming for. Still have no idea how I will camouflage the thousands of out of scale phillip screw heads but here's a start.

The fist pack has quite a few visible screws so I started by replacing the ones on the hood with .8mm rivets and painting them red to match. Not perfect but better.

Then I started working on the front axle. I replaced the screws with Hex bolts of a similar size secured them with nuts on the inside of the axle.

Small changes but I think they will add up and improve the final product.

IMG_1072.JPG

IMG_1073.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Fantastic start Joel. You and I think alike. I plan to replace any visible screws with bolts of appropriate size. If the bolts are molded in I file them down then drill and tap for the size bolt. 

Keep up the great work and please keep the pics coming.

wyatt

Hi Wyatt,

Thanks for tuning in. I did one of the disc Brakes and it is so much better without the screw heads. Also really easy because I didn't have to use a tap. Just drilled through and fastened with a nut. Lots of room inside the wheel.

IMG_1075.JPG

• Like 1

Oh yea! Very nicely done Joel. When there is room that is the way to go. Some holes there isn't  any room, so a bottoming tap and shorter bolts is the ticket, if you're willing to go that far. Of course you can drill a hole and glue the bolt in. I just like the challenge of tapping.

Are your bolts from Model Motor Cars? 

I know I said I wasn't a rivet counter but I had to change the kick plates. The screw heads are HUGE and are possibly the worst part of the kit. I was hoping to get some non perforated ones from Agora but no luck so I decided to make my own. I used a piece of thick foil (the lid of a takeout lasagna) and carefully pressed in the pattern with a tooth pick. Took a couple of hours but I think it was worth it. Also painted the orange floor with 3 shades of brown and added a dark brown wash to dirty up the stairs and floor.

IMG_1090.JPG

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/11/2021 at 10:57 PM, Joel said:

I know I said I wasn't a rivet counter but I had to change the kick plates. The screw heads are HUGE and are possibly the worst part of the kit. I was hoping to get some non perforated ones from Agora but no luck so I decided to make my own. I used a piece of thick foil (the lid of a takeout lasagna) and carefully pressed in the pattern with a tooth pick. Took a couple of hours but I think it was worth it. Also painted the orange floor with 3 shades of brown and added a dark brown wash to dirty up the stairs and floor.

IMG_1090.JPG

Respekt...Das schaut richtig gut aus...Klasse...Bin gespannt auf mehr...

LG aus Deutschland...Modellbau Schwaben...Thorsten

• 3 weeks later...

Also reworked the engine and added the fuel filter support and the spring for the oil filler cap. Also redid all the fuel lines to be more in scale. A lot of fiddly work but I like the effect. The band clamps are from Autograph models.

IMG_1299.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Joel said:

IMG_1568.jpg

hi joel hope this isn't rude but are you going for a parked up unused for several years look ? ( honestly not trying to be funny or anything )

just wondering re steering wheel looks like its covenant in dust etc not had hands on for ages

mine im going for how RM857 is now restored no advertisements on side etc everyone seems to have different things they're aiming for but i have to say your skill and attention to detail is outstanding

Not rude at all. I am trying for a well worn but still working bus. I've seen some pictures with similar sort of aging and thought it would be interesting. Certainly when I've had the chance  (over 30 years ago now) to ride one of these there was dirt on the floors and seatbacks. The outside was still relatively clean but the interior was a bit faded. I'm trying to capture a well used bus.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Joel said:

Not rude at all. I am trying for a well worn but still working bus. I've seen some pictures with similar sort of aging and thought it would be interesting. Certainly when I've had the chance  (over 30 years ago now) to ride one of these there was dirt on the floors and seatbacks. The outside was still relatively clean but the interior was a bit faded. I'm trying to capture a well used bus.

its interesting to see how people do different builds im certainty looking forward to seeing your build progress you have a fantastic talent for detailing

• 1 month later...

OK finishing up the seats. A lot of work to fill all the holes in the seat backs and repaint. I painted the frame chrome. I also shaped the bracket that holds it to the wall so there is only one hole and it is more prototypical. I also decided to glue the  end walls together and try and avoid the screw heads where visible. My colour matching isn't perfect but it works. I can't do the front wall until I get the bonnet hinges installed so I'm waiting for that. Should be coming any day.

IMG_1541.jpg

IMG_1870.jpg

• Like 1